Select all modified images in lighttable?

How can I select all images that have been modified in the lighttable section?
I can see that there is an option to select all ‘untouched’ which can then be inverted, but this appears to select any image that has been viewed in the darkroom section and not images that have actually been modified.

Thanks.

Try history → altered in “collect images”

This does not work as expected either. I have just added a new folder with ~350 images. I have gone through each in darktable view and modified roughly 30 images. When I try selecting the current film roll (folder) and then history>altered it come back with ~240 modified images and ~110 not altered, this is clearly not the case.
Opening an image in the dark table module should not be counted as modified, I presume this is because it is applying some default transforms on any image viewed in the darktable module and counting it as modified. Surely this is not correct, I would expect only images that I have added additional modifications to be classed as ‘altered’. How else can I view images in the darktable module and not have them classed as altered?

Maybe one red star at any modified image will help?

Yes, I realise that’s an option. It seems strange that there’s an option to filter ‘altered’ images, but this actually just means images I’ve viewed in the darktable module, not images actually modified. The only way to do this afterwards is as you say, go through all 240+ of those images in the darktable module that it thinks have been ‘altered’ and use the star tag as a means of identifying modified images.

It seems an obvious option to have, to be able to filter on images I’ve actually modified so that I can choose to export just those images, just about every other filter option seems to be covered except the only one I ever use in other raw developement software.
Perhaps it’s an option that may eventually appear.

But when you “view” in darkroom, you are altering the image by applying the default modules: white balance, demoasic, etc etc etc.

I personally use the red color label as a marker that I’ve modified the image in a meaningful way.

Yes, I realise this is what is happening. But how else can I go through each picture and view at 100% to check which I actually want to modify? Surely a reasonable option would be to view this image in the darkroom module, but only save the applied defaults once an actual change has been made.
I realise some might use this default action to apply all their required modifications, but much like in email clients where there is a setting that says treat previewed emails as read or not can be selected, a similar option would be nice to have in darktable. To be able to say only tag the image as altered if an additional manual change has been made on top of the defaults.

Having to tick any box to say ‘I’ve modified this image’ (such as the stars etc.) shouldn’t be necessary as the software should know when it’s been altered. Maybe not a default setting, but the option would be nice.

Do you need to view at 100% to decide to edit it or not? You can set a custom thumbnail size for lighttable, then change the number of images displayed to alter the size.

Waiting for the image to demoasic in order to make that decision seems like an awefully slow way to go about it.

I do if I want to check critical focus, the initial view of an image including demosaic takes maybe 1 second or less even on my laptop, hardly what I would call slow.

My workflow is obviously not like just about everyone that uses Darktable, to be able to have the option would be nice.

If you wait a bit for 3.2 there are couple PRs that would help you with your case:

I tried it on current master and it seems that you’ll get your wish in more ways than one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll look forward to trying it when it’s released!

I have updated to the latest version 3.2 but I don’t see any changes in the options for filtering within lighttable. Surely being able to select only modified images is a basic option? (and not images that have just been opened in darkroom).

Isn’t history what you are looking for?

The following subcategories are seen when I select that one:

altered , auto applied and basic

I must be looking in the wrong place! Where do I find ‘History’ in the Lighttable module? I can see ‘History Stack’ on the right hand side, but that’s just for copying the adjustment stack etc.

• In lighttable view, on the left side, there’s a collect images tab,
  • The default value (film roll) will probably be set,
  • click on it and see a whole slew of options, history among them.

That works perfectly, thanks!