Select RAW or JPG files

Hi,

is there an option to quickly select only RAW or JPG files for download in RPD? I shoot RAW+JPG, but I usually want to download only the RAWs. Unless I want to hand out few of the camera jpegs to someone, I don’t need them and downloading both formats means extra step to delete the jpegs from PC later.

I’ve tried to find the way to do this, but without success. I attempted a workaround with “Ignored Paths” in Preferences, but this seems to work only for the directory names. Did I miss some other option?

If such feature does not exist yet, a simple option to select only one format would be great. Maybe an extension to the Select all Photos and Videos checkboxes on bottom right would work.

Thanks!

The use-case is reasonable but the implementation is not trivial, and I don’t anticipate it would be a heavily used feature.

You are correct that the ignored paths affects only folder names, not files. And that’s how I want to keep it.

The problem with adding check boxes to the second to the bottom row of UI is that one (very very) quickly runs out of space, especially when taking into account long label names that can come with non-English languages. So that’s a no-no. We can’t have the program usable only on high-res screens, and to be frank the current UI is problematic on low-res screens as it is. There is also a lot to be said for keeping the UI clean and simple and not overwhelming the casual user with options.

One workflow option you can do right now is sorting by extension, and then selecting what you want. But I can see that is an additional step, which becomes a pain in the butt.

Another option is to introduce a sub menu item, accessible from the main menu, that selects by raw / jpg / video. However there is still the additional step that one must then check / uncheck the files.

Perhaps the best option is to forget the additional menu item, and create a new preference value under the miscellaneous page that is “Do not mark automatically jpeg files for download when matching raw file is found”. This option would apply to raw files that can be downloaded but have not yet been downloaded (the scenario you outline), and to previously downloaded raw files . Otherwise, there could be a case where a raw is downloaded one day, and then the next day the jpeg is marked for download because the raw will not be downloaded again that day.

It might be good to make that option symmetrical, so that it could also mean “Do not mark automatically raw files for download when matching jpeg file is found”. In other words, “Do not mark automatically a file for download when matching file in another file format is found”. @mimoklepes wanted to generally download only raw files, but someone else might decide they want all the jpeg files and only selective raw files. (I’m not talking about myself…I always download all the files in both formats).

It strikes me as confusing, from a UI perspective! My initial thought is that it’s better to have two separate check boxes, and make each one explicit.

My experience tells me that even very simple things can easily overwhelm users, causing them to miss obvious solutions to their use case. I know this because people email me with them :wink:

A bash one liner could easily remove the jpegs…

find . -type f -name '*.jpg' -delete

Or

find . -name '*.jpg' -exec rm -r {} \;

1 Like

Agreed…that would be clearer. I just wanted to point out that the reverse use case to @mimoklepes might occur.

Hi guys,

thanks for the comments. I honestly missed the possibility to sort based on extension, this may be feasible for me - I’ll try to use it for some time and see. Not sure how well it will play with the remaining JPGs on card which I don’t want to download. I’ll test.

As for the possible “Do not mark automatically jpeg files for download when matching raw file is found” option - I also agree that making things too specific for a certain use case may not be the best way and someone might want to download only the JPEGs. Maybe a versatile and self-explanatory setting could be something like this in the Preferences:

For grouped images download: [x] RAW [x] JPG [x] Metadata

(not sure if any metadata is generated by cameras, that’s just an example of additional filetype, if needed).