Sharing/copying presets

How do I share or copy presets between computers?

I have tried to copy “C:\Users[username]\AppData\Local\darktable\darktablerc” but this had absolutely no effect.

Copy data.db.

Thank you.
It worked - the filename in windows is: C:\Users[username]\AppData\Local\darktable\data - but to my surprise this didn’t copy my shortcuts.

Is it possible to copy all darktable preferences?

For shortcuts you need to copy keyboardrc, a very cryptic name to ensure no one will guess what is inside :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the response.

You are quite right that it is a cryptic name and difficult to guess what’s inside.

I think that the user manual should document the names and content of DT-files on the different platforms. And maybe some guidance on how to backup/copy these in different situations. I’m sure that I am not the only one with DT installed on more than one pc.

It’s apparently often recommended to backup the configuration file before executing certain changes but I’m not sure how this will help me in case of problems.

Hm, to add to my response from another thread,

backing up config files is always recommended when the software may change these files. As explained, that’s the case for the databases of darktable and the changes during an upgrade may mess up the databases and therefore it is recommended to be able to roll back. If you already have a reasonable backup routine, e.g. daily backups, this may be redundant. Be aware that not every information will be in the xmp files, some is in the database only (I remember the time correction for geotagging and the groups, and the styles of course, but there may be more).

Ok, thank you. Here is my problem going back to a previous release as I see it:

I have installed DT 2.6 on my windows system. Lets say I want to go back to DT 2.4.4.
Before installing 2.6 I backed up the folder “C:\Users[username]\AppData\Local\darktable”. I assume that this is all the data I need. Correct?

Here comes the problem. How do I reinstall the application itself? On RawTherapee’s webpage you can choose to download different versions of RT, but this is not the case with DT. How do I find DT 2.4.4?

DT 2.4.4 is linked from its own release post or on dt’s github releases.

I see. Thank you.

I just have implemented this as this is a long standing request. It will be supported in 2.6.1.

1 Like

Excellent, thank you………:o)!