Show your best Macro shots!

I have done better pictures, but this one is the scariest in my collection:

It is one of them:

The fly attacks its prey by stabbing it with its short, strong proboscis, injecting the victim with saliva containing neurotoxic and proteolytic enzymes which very rapidly paralyze the victim and soon digest the insides; the fly then sucks the liquefied material through the proboscis.

1 Like

I use a Sony a6000, extension tubes and a SMC Pentax M 4/50 Macro. (Some of the shots here were taken with a reversed SMC Pentax M 1.7/50)

All my lenses are vintage manual lenses from the 80s. I don’t have any lense that does AF and I am used to it that way.

I do have the same lens and tried it with a retro adapter, too. But I found it too hard to get the right focus. The depth of field was extremly short and without being able to focus at all I didn’t get the image composition that I wanted.

One of the few shots with a retro adapter that were in focus

Other ones without macro lens (SMC Takumar 55mm 1.8):

These are well nice

I am really glad to see that this thread is still alive!

Same for me…
Nice ones! I particularly like 3, 6 and 11!

Actually, that’s just a cool guy enjoying a milk-shake, in the microcosm world… :wink:

I really like the colors and geometry of this one! I would suggest you to push the contrast a bit further, for example with a darkening gamma adjustment…

Yeah, I did it afterwards after posting this as a PlayRaw. Someone had better colors and contrast and achieved this with a black-level correction which I didn’t use before.

Guess I am that someone. :stuck_out_tongue:
Wish I could actually take good photos like you all. :sweat_smile:

A few from today. At 8.30 am I was on the trail.

Most of the processing was done with RT 5.7, then off to GIMP for spot removal, then off to Darktable for split toning, because I really don’t understand how it works in RT.

11 Likes

Bugzilla
This is a 30 or so exposure focus stack, in a light tent. The bug (a Pteronarcys Californica stonefly) was already dead when I made this stack. So movement wasn’t a problem. These aquatic insects are big bugs, about 1-7/8 inches or 48mm long.

6 Likes

…another focus stack. This one was alive but immobilized with Ethyl Acetate. Cooling or even freezing insects for focus stacking does not work because the insects curl up into unnatural positions as they get cold. And then, when they thaw out, they begin to twitch. Ethyl Acetate works nicely. A small amount of the fumes immobilizes the insect without killing it.

3 Likes

What software do you use to stack your frames?

1 Like

I didn’t say which software I use because it is proprietary. I use ZereneStacker. It is not expensive and it is produced entirely by one talented guy, who is a pleasure to work with. ZereneStacker is written in Java so it runs on all three platforms. I use Mint Linux.

He has a useful forum I’ll add later when not using a phone.
A (very) useful website and forum:

http://www.photomacrography.net/

Let’s resurrect this thread if you don’t mind.

The Hairy Chaffer Beetle, Tropinota hirta, feeding (well it was before I took the shot, here it’s just startled) on a dandelion.

I showed you mine, now show me yours.

16 Likes

Grrrrr. Honestly, I tried to make something better. But I failed :frowning:
Most of our south Swedish UFOs do not sit still long enough for me to catch them.
ufo_200420
Note that his trunk is fully extended to start getting the goodies inside the flower.
At least, we probably can agree that it is a step in the right direction?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

3 Likes

Let me join the fun

platbuik / broad-bodied chaser / libellula depressa

12 Likes

I do like those wings.

Already told you that on IRC, but man do I like those wings!

2 Likes

Oh wow, such a great shot!

1 Like

Thanks

Let’s try and scare @patdavid a bit,

Schorsmarpissa / Marpissa muscosa

9 Likes

Jumping spiders are my favourite! Great one!