Siril result file size too large?

I recently upgraded from version 0.9.12 to the newest builds of Siril (0.99.10.1), and I am seeing drastically larger ‘result.fit’ files after the stacking process. I used to get files of about 110mb, but after the upgrade my result files are about 850mb. That seems large. I realize that the move to 32bit would likely double the file size, but 8x surprised me. And it’s making for a far more time consuming editing process, processing a file that large. Am I missing something…?

Your help is much appreciated.

32 bits gives files twice as big.
However if you use drizzle (are you sure it is needed?) , it get worst…

The so-called drizzle feature upscales images at twice their dimensions, making them 4 times larger, that with the double in 32 bits makes the factor 8 you are seeing.

If you don’t want the 32 bits you can deactivate it in the preferences, if you don’t want the upscaling you should use another script or not enable it in the options of registration.

1 Like

Dead on, guys. Undid 32 bit and drizzle and am back to 110mb files. Also drastically reduced stacking times!

Many thanks for the help!

Siril’s documentation seems quite positive on drizzle, though I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a meaningful difference. I’ll probably spend some time restacking some recent targets and seeing if that 4x factor is worth it.

Yes, but quality is also reduced with 16bits

I appreciate the warning. I’m, of course, not opposed to 32bit. I was simply trying to figure out the whys of my massive files.

If size matters, do not hesitate to use compression in Siril preferences

Lock042, you clearly have experience. Do you have some recommended adjustments to the default settings in Siril? Obviously, no to drizzle, yes to 32 bit. Size does matter a bit. I found those 850mb files rather slow to edit, both in Siril and then in Photoshop. My computer seems much happier with 100-200 mb files.