Siskins in the rain

Hello!

Today I was taking a walk through the rice fields when it started to rain quite heavily. Because of that a small flock of siskins finally let me get close enough to take this photo, even if not perfect(the branch in front of them…) I think it turned out quite nicely with the rain drops in the background. Unfortunately my gear and myself got pretty wet, but it is what it is :grin: Camera/Lens still alive.

Wet Camera

_DSF8150.RAF.xmp (14.2 KB)
_DSF8150.RAF (28.1 MB)

License: Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

21 Likes

Thank you for sharing this photograph.
My play in GIMP. I made adjustments to brightness and contrast in various zones to try and make the rain slightly more visible and added a slight amount of saturation.

5 Likes

Thanks for posting
darktable 3.8.1

_DSF8150_01.RAF.xmp (9.6 KB)

2 Likes

My version…

_DSF8150_01.RAF.xmp (14.8 KB)

6 Likes

_DSF8150.RAF.xmp (14.9 KB)

1 Like

@hatsnp Good one. Bookmarked for later scrutiny.

1 Like

_DSF8150.RAF.xmp (11.0 KB)

Singing in the rain :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Great shot!

Here’s my version (RT-dev):

_DSF8150.RAF.jpg.out.pp3 (15,0 KB)

3 Likes

200722_16h59-9216.CR2.pp3 (11.2 KB)

2 Likes

I just cropped the image to how I think the shot would best suit a frame. I think your right when you say the grass to the right is distracting. It is def a portrait, it doesn’t need all the space around the subject. I do like the rain in the shot. I would def wory about my camera in those conditions.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your edits, it’s great to look at everyone’s different perspectives. It also made me aware that it looks much better in a vertical format.

I think the problem of such a close crop is that the image is limited by its resolution, unfortunately. It was rainy, I used a slower shutter speed and had the TC on, which made it even worse. Maybe with some magical upscale(open to suggestions, I usually use gmic dcci2x) it can still look good in a print.

Hi, I use PSP (Paintshop Pro) it has a great AI upscaling feature. I think with the crop, I was suggesting actually framing a smaller image, better a good small image than a large average one

1 Like

_DSF8150.RAF.xmp (20.9 KB)

1 Like

My version… GIMP-LAB

3 Likes

_DSF8150.RAF.xmp (17.1 KB)

_DSF8150_01.RAF.xmp (16.9 KB)

2 Likes

I enjoy your stylistic take. As usual, I prefer your colour rendition more than the grey scale.