Skin softening in FOSS

How are you handling skin retouching using the software featured in pixls.us? I’m particularly interested in how to effectively use RawTherapee for that purpose, but I’m also looking for how it’s being done in general. I’d like to be a little more delicate than simply taking a brush and smearing away blemishes.

Similarly, I’ve utilized Pat David’s outstanding article that uses GIMP to accomplish this task. I’m unsure how to convert that tutorial to 2.10 with the advent of layer groupings. Edit: Apparently I need to become more familiar with 2.10. When you do a wavelet decompose, you have the option of using un-grouped layers.

Thanks for your thoughts on this subject. I’ll be interested in hearing about different approaches that are being used.

I’d still use Pat’s tutorial, as I don’t feel there is currently a good way to do this in RT. I don’t think layer grouping changes the tutorial much, if at all.

I think that you can use Contrast by Detail module to obtain smooth texture. Then you can use local contrast module to make only the skin smooth. I have never done this yet but this is what I will try. Have a look.

1 Like

You will find some tutorials on youtube using the equalizer module in darktable. Together with parametric masks to select just the skin tones can do a very nice job.

1 Like

Hi,

that’s what I would use as well. The “CBDL” module has some settings to specifically target skin tones. Here’s my quick try, including some colour toning (maybe a bit overdone…)

Nikki-Base-crop-noresize.jpg.pp3 (10.6 KB)

3 Likes

The bundled Portrait Smooth RT profile demonstrates a simple CBDL approach. Alberto’s nice example shows how to tailor this more precisely, per image.

1 Like

Thanks. When I do a wavelet decompose in Gimp 2.10.x, it looks a lot different than it did before that version. That’s probably on me for not keeping up with how layers work now, though, so I probably have some homework to do. I guess my question was really more about handling skin globally, and the question about Pat’s tutorial was more of just something I was wondering about.

I saw those up there, but hadn’t really worked through them just yet. Good to know. I’m still getting my feet wet with RT, although I’ve been able to get some nice edits already. I’d like to be able to unload LR altogether on our next hardware upgrade, which is coming soon. RT is probably the key to being able to do just that.

1 Like