[SOLVED]Gimp and DT suddenly don't play ball anymore

I had been happily running gimp-git (2.10) from AUR and it played well with DT loading a raw and then piping it to Gimp upon closing. I now run Gimp from the standard Arch repo and raw loading fails after closing DT. It seems no issue on the DT side and the file-raw loader plugins are where you would expect them. Starting Gimp from a terminal doesn’t show any obvious error messages. Any ideas?

Oh yeah, here’s the feedback from terminal with DARKTABLE_DEBUG set to 1 as an environment variable (oh and the same behaviour with a previous DT version):

this is darktable 2.5.0+361~g4243ced08
copyright (c) 2009-2018 johannes hanika
darktable-dev@lists.darktable.org

compile options:
bit depth is 64 bit
normal build
SSE2 optimized codepath enabled
OpenMP support enabled
OpenCL support enabled
Lua support enabled, API version 5.0.0
Colord support enabled
gPhoto2 support enabled
GraphicsMagick support enabled
OpenEXR support enabled

[file-darktable.c] have_darktable: 1
[file-darktable.c] trying to call
darktable
–library
:memory:
–luacmd
dofile(‘/usr/share/gimp/2.0/file-raw/file-darktable-export-on-exit.lua’)
–conf
plugins/lighttable/export/icctype=3
–conf
lua/export_on_exit/export_filename=/home/mike/.config/GIMP/2.10/tmp/gimp-temp-174020.exr
/FOTO/DCIM/101_0809/BMG06051.PEF

After a lot of experimentation I found the solution and it is rather unexpected: this seems to be a packaging issue with the Gimp 2.10 stock package from Arch being compiled without EXR support. As the DT plugin is configured to store and pipe its output in that format, Gimp fails to read the image. I went back to the gimp-devel 2.10 version from AUR which resolved the issue and everything is working as expected. I will make a note to the Arch packagers.

2 Likes

Thank you for looking into this. :+1:

No problem. BTW, the Arch package maintainer has already picked this up and confirmed:

The package depends on openexr, but compile time detection fails:

OpenEXR: no (OpenEXR not found)

So I expect a new package to hit relatively soon and relieved it is definitely NOT either a Gimp or a DarkTable issue to begin with.

Pretty neat to see such fast action by package maintaners! Just saw:

Gimp 2.10.0.6
Package Actions
Flagged out-of-date on 2018-05-20
Version 2.10.2-1 in testing

gimp 2.10.2-1
Versions Elsewhere
gimp 2.10.0-6 [extra] (x86_64)
Repository: Testing

And there we go:

39 min. upgpkg: gimp 2.10.2-1 eworm

• new upstream release
  • drop upstream patch
  • remove invalid configure options
  • add make dependency on glu, required to link against ilmbase/openexr (FS#58593)
1 Like