SOLVED: RPD: "Installer does not support a custom python installation"

Hello Damon and community-
Just starting out - using Ubuntu 16.04LTS but I also have the full anaconda package installed with python 3.6.

When i try to run the install command python3 install.py, i get the error message “Sorry, this installer does not support a custom python installation.”

Is that a conflict with something in the Anaconda package? Can anyone suggest a workaround?

Thank you!

I stumbled into a solution.
The install command that worked is:

python3.5 install.py

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your solution. I should update the documentation on the website. The reason you cannot use your Anaconda python is because there are some key python packages provided by Linux distributions that are not easily installable otherwise, viz. the gobject introspection exiv2 package.

So any suggestions or guide on getting RPD installed on an Oracle Linux 7.4 system? It has Python2.7 installed by default. I installed Python3.6 from source, but am stuck on trying to get a working gobject introspection installed. Any suggestions as to where I can find a gobject introspection I can install?

-tl

A Red Hat / Fedora expert would no doubt be able to give a better suggestion than this, but you could try examining how the relevant Fedora gobject introspection RPM packages are built from source, viz. gobject-introspection and python3-gobject.

That sounds like a lot of work, however. Are you able to run a VM on your machine? Then you can Fedora or Ubuntu or whatever takes your fancy, and install and run it without difficulty.