[SOLVED] RT crashes using RAF from Fuji XE2-S

Hi all,

I use RT v 4.2.0 installed on Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon and have an issue with RAF from my Fuji XE-2S : Each time I open RAF, RT close immediately after a brief opening.
I also own a Fuji XT-1 and have no issue with it.
If I open a folder containing RAF from both gears, RT remain opened, I can treat RAF from XT-1, but if I double-click on a RAF from XE2-S, RT close and cannot be opened anymore until I open another folder.

I spent a lot of time googling for same issue without finding a solution.

Am I alone with this issue ?

Thanks in advance.

Franck

That version is quite old; I’d recommend installing from the PPA as detailed when you select “Ubuntu” on the downloads page.

Thanks paperdigits for your quick reply.
I already tried to uninstall / reinstall RT without success.
I updated my repositories but RT don’t want to install and I have no message specifying me that a newer version is available.
Maybe the issue is elsewhere within my Linux Mint : when I try to update, I have the following message :

sudo apt-get install rawtherapee
Lecture des listes de paquets… Fait
Construction de l’arbre des dépendances
Lecture des informations d’état… Fait
rawtherapee est déjà la plus récente version disponible.
0 mis à jour, 0 nouvellement installés, 0 à enlever et 30 non mis à jour.
1 partiellement installés ou enlevés.
Après cette opération, 0 o d’espace disque supplémentaires seront utilisés.
Souhaitez-vous continuer ? [O/n] o
Paramétrage de rsync (3.1.0-2ubuntu0.2) …
update-rc.d: warning: default stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not match rsync Default-Stop values (none)
System start/stop links for /etc/init.d/rsync already exist.
/etc/init.d/rsync: 16: /etc/default/rsync: /etc/rsyncd.conf: Permission denied
invoke-rc.d: initscript rsync, action “restart” failed.
dpkg: erreur de traitement du paquet rsync (–configure) :
le sous-processus script post-installation installé a retourné une erreur de sortie d’état 126
Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l’exécution :
rsync
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

It seems there’s an issue with rsync

Maybe I should ask on a Linux Mint forum

You may want to see if you can get apt to generally finish all of its business with this command: sudo apt install -f. If that doesn’t work, you’ve got a system problem you need to sort out.

You can purge the current rawtherapee version with the command sudo dpkg --purge rawtherapee. That’ll get rid of everything.

Assuming you added the PPA, update the package database: sudo apt update then install rawtherapee with sudo apt install rawtherapee.

Hi Frankel, i have the same problem with xe-2. After the firmwareupdate to version 4, RT crashes. I use mac os 10.8.5 and RT 4.2.270. So i think
this is more firmware related. Also i found entries at dpreview people reporting the same, but everything seems to be fine when for metering the camera is set to spot or multi. Average metering seems to be the devil here…didnt try for myself so far. I hope there will be a new a new RT build for my system someday :slight_smile:

Hi broesch,
Thanks for your feedback. Effectively, I read that some users had the problem after upgrading their XE-2’s firmware from 3 to 4.0.
I just tried the three available metering and the issue is still here.
Just for another information, I have error messages with Darktable (unknow format or could not open white balance informations).
What is disappointing is that I open an issue report on the RT forum sending a RAF and the developer replied me that it works fine on his RT’s version installed on Windows (see here : RT crashes using RAF from Fuji XE2-S · Issue #3393 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub)
I’m going on searching and will come back if I find a solution.
I hope too a new RT build which could open RAF of my XE2-s.
Waiting for that, I continue to develop and applied different film simulations and settings within the camera.

Hi Franck.
Mint 17.2 is based on an older version of ububtu (14.04 I think).
I had the same problem with my xe2 raf files, I had to upgrade to an ubuntu 16.04 distro which solved the problem.
There was a discussion on this site Problems with RAW Files by Fuji x E2 / Firmware 4.0 - #7 by Claes which had a work around (but I couldn’t get it to work)
Hope that helps :grinning:
Keith.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the information based on your own experience.
I conclude the same thing after reading ton and ton of web pages : LM17.2 is too old to support RT 4.2.XXX
I just installed it by the end of last year and don’t want to reinstall and set it again right now.
I know that LM18 is out, based on ubuntu 16.04 and that will be the solution to solve my problem.
Maybe later when I will have more time to spend to rebuild a new computer.
Waiting for that, I think I will use the XE2-s engine to convert my RAF to jpeg as it is very good.
This was one of the main reasons I bought Fuji cameras.

Following this instructions it’s easy (though needs some time) to build the latest version of RT on your LM 17.2. I know it because I use it myself in a virtual box on my windows machine.
Once set up it is easy to update to latest repository. Just try it. If you need help, just ask :wink:

Ingo

Hi Ingo,

Thanks again for the information, the same as yesterday evening no ? :wink: ( RT crashes using RAF from Fuji XE2-S · Issue #3393 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub )

Just need time to try it. I will keep you informed of the output (hoping I will crash nothing else).
As a workaround (as I don’t want to crash all my system), as I don’t plan to intensively use RT (just few RAF per month) I had the idea to run it in a live session of LM 18.
Will see what is more convenient for me. :slight_smile:

Would it help you that I try to open one of your RAFs on a Windows 7 system? If yes, upload it and give us the link.

The rt crash issue opening raf produced with new fuji firmware was solved somewhere in February, 2016. It’s not an rt issue anymore. We should close this thread imho.

Ingo

1 Like

@RTCharles You could if you want and I’m pretty sure that it will open. Heckflosse tried and it was OK (see here : RT crashes using RAF from Fuji XE2-S · Issue #3393 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub). You have a link to download a RAF if you want to.
We concluded that RT was not the cause. It’s only due to my actual version of RT installed on Linux Mint 17.2 which is not up to date and couldn’t be. I tried another version and it was OK.

@heckflosse I agree : we can close this thread as we have the answer regarding the issue. Thanks.

I’ve added [SOLVED] to the title of your post; mods of this forum discussed closing threads and concluded it is not productive to stop people from posting, even if the problem is solved.

1 Like

That’s what I meant by closing, thanks :slight_smile:

Yup, DSCF1179.RAF opened in RT 4.2.1148 on Windows 7. Sorry to clutter the thread.

@paperdigits Thanks for editing the title and for the information about continuing discussion. Maybe could be helpful for others with the same issue.

@RTCharles I was pretty sure. And don’t mind, you didn’t clutter the thread, just wanted to help and I thank you and all other posters for that.