[Solved] RT sunset colors

Hi Everybody,

i am recently started useing RawTherapee and i am quite happy with all that options the software provides.

But the colors seem to be off for my sunset photos. Shooting with a Sony a6300 the colors appear strange when shooting sunset. All the bright parts are just orange when the ARW is openend in RT.

Out of Camera JPG on the left and ARW without adjustments on the right

The problem is, at least for me, only visible in sunset pictures. Opening the ARW in darktable results in a picture close to the JPG, no orange sunset. Converting the ARW into DWG and opening it in RT is again an orange sunset.

Any ideas how i can fix that? Is it just me not able to process or are there any presets i havent found jet?

Thanks a lot

If the app on the left is Windows Photo Viewer, it is not color managed. For a comparison, open the jpeg in an app that is color managed.

1 Like

The actual light was orange, so RawTherapee is prioritizing color over brightness, instead of letting the hue shift to yellow.

To me, it looks like a simple difference in tone curves between in-camera processing and RT. If the tone curve visible with the RT side is what’s applied to the image, I’d speculate that the in-camera curve is higher in the high end than RT’s.

Then, the light part of the subject’s backpack in each suggests a steeper curve in the low end of the in-camera process, steeper curve = more contrast.

Just ruminations…

Can you upload the RAW file ?

Thanks for your replys. The difference is also visible between darktable and RT:

RT on the left and darktable on the right, both with just the standard tone curve.

Are the standard tone curves so very different? The right sunset looks much more pleasing for my eye and i unfortunatly can’t recreate the same look in RT.

Here is the RAW file if you want to try.
DSC03557.ARW (23.7 MB)

Thanks for your time

I have an A6500 and it is also not supported by a true dcp profile in RawTherapee. Thus, I used a dcp profile I copied from the Adobe Raw Converter (free download).
If I apply the dcp profile to your RAW, it looks a lot better (with the bright edges on the clouds) than with the ‘camera standard’ profile.
If I use the dcp profile, but I uncheck the ‘Look table’ (which is an artistic intent baked into the camera) it looks flat again.

1 Like

DSC03557.ARW.Rt4.jpg.out.pp3 (12.2 KB)

1 Like

Well, I also had a quick lock. I simply applied the neutral profile and selected the proper input profile and applied a little curve
DSC03557.ARW.pp3 (1.1 KB)

1 Like

With RawTherapee, I started with the Neutral profile, then just scooched up the shadows and contrast a bit:

By way of camera profiles, this uses the camconst.json entry for your camera, which to me seems to produce fine colors.

1 Like

That worked for me! Camera specific dcp profile and the ‘Look table’ checkmark did the job. Many thanks for all the replys.
And i continue learning to use the software :wink:

Have fun with the new RT 5.6 :grinning:

1 Like

Uhm :thinking: the latest Rawtherapee dev vesion shows the same orange color as darktable with the standard tone curve

In rawproc, I opened the ARW and applied the minimal processing to get a whitebalanced RGB image, and the orange is there; I didn’t see any evidence of saturated sensor sites. I think the other manifestations are increased contrast in that tone range, or clamped as they’re pushed past the display white.

1 Like