[Solved via workaround] G'mic - descreen - error

@David_Tschumperle

Hello David, little problem with the descreen filter in gmic for gimp.

I am on Xubuntu 20.04. I used to use the appimage for gimp 2.10.25 with gmic included. There I could use the descreen filter without problems.

Then I reinstalled the same Xubuntu on an new ssd. When I use the same appimage the descreen filter ends up with an error, see screenshot.

When I use the standard installed Gimp v. 2.10.18 with gimp-gmic from the repos, descreen works fine.

Any idea what’s going on? I use descreen on a regular base to eliminate the raster that is seen on scans from books.

dump_324

Hello Paul.

Just tested here on my Ubuntu 20.04, with latest stable .deb package installed from the website (version 3.1.5), and I don’t get any error.
Could you tell me what G’MIC command the plug-in tries to run ? (using the “Paste Command to Clipboard” button located at the top-right of the filter parameter panel).
Also if you can provide an example of image that does not work.

If I can reproduce the bug here, I’ll probably be able to correct it (even though I’m not the author of this filter :slight_smile: ).

Thanks!

Salut David,

Problem solved - via a workaround.
I installed gmic_gimp_qt 3.1.5 and descreen works fine in the “official” Gimp that comes with Xubuntu 20.04 (v2.10.18), as it did with the earlier version gmic-gimp 2.4.5 (the one from the repos).

Only gmic 3.1.5 shows the button to copy the command to the clipboard, v2.4.5 and the gimp appimage with filters (gmic 2.9.2_pre#…) do not show that button.

dump_325

The command in question is fx_pahlsson_descreen 0.

In the appimage (gimp 2.10.25) descreen produces another error msg:

dump_326

I solved the whole problem by using gmic descreen from the commandline, I made a script to batch process several files, as this filter is a bit time-consuming.

Thanks for your time anyway.

Regards, Paul.

1 Like