Some .RW2 files open with a dark yellowish cast

I am pretty new to RawTherapee. I open *.RW2 files from Adobe Bridge, and usually it’s fine, but on a couple of occasions the image (bright enough in Bridge) opens with a dark, dull yellowish cast in RT. If I close the Application and try again I get the same effect, whilst I can open other RW2 files with no problem.

I notice that if I select the Hand Tool in RT and left-click and hold the image brightens to its proper colour (though highly pixilated) until I release the left mouse button when it returns to the yellow cast.
Can anyone explain what’s going on, please?

There are some highly experienced people in this forum and they can likely figure out what happened …but you do have to provide us with a RAW file this happened to. Please upload.

In the meantime, what version of RawTherapee are you using and is it in Windows, Mac, or Linux? Also try, if you can, opening the raw file in another version of RawTherapee :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for your interest, stefan. Here’s an offending file._1030057.RW2 (22.5 MB)

Oh! I’m using v.5.4 in Windows 10.

@Campbells please show a screenshot of the problem and explain how to reproduce - which processing profile do you apply, which processing profile is your default for raw photos? See Preferences > Image Processing > Default Processing Profiles.

Aha! I seem to have cracked it!
Whilst looking for “Preferences > Image Processing > Default Processing Profiles”, (which incidentally I never found) I noticed, top-right, “Processing Profiles” under which it said “Custom”. I changed it to “Neutral” and the dark cast cleared. Sorted!! In my fumbling inexperience I must have adjusted the Processing Profile on the image and it appears that the software will, by default remember the “Last Saved” profile when closing.

Thank you all for your assistance. I have a strong suspicion that I will be back soon for more help.

2 Likes

@Campbells start with the “Getting Started” article and the processing profile articles:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/