Sony Cameras == Bad for Astrophotgraphy?

I love the use of the term “Star Eater” to describe the problem… :fearful:

1 Like

About 2 years ago I was deciding on a new camera, it was between Nikon and Sony. I’ve owned quite a few Sony products over the years, particularly the Sony minidisc, which I loved. However, the software for the minidisc that came from Sony was absolutely infuriating. So was the Sony software for other products I had experienced. After more thought, I decided that even though the hardware looked great, I couldn’t put myself through the rigor of more Sony software. I got a D750. Shortly after that was the Sony compressed RAW files, now this.

Not too long ago I wrote a tutorial on using a tripod to make ev-bracketed shots, that turned into a rantorial on Sony A7 cameras - you all might find the article amusing. I included links to more in-depths discussions of how Sony turned what should be professional cameras into, well, not professional cameras:

Making ev-bracketed exposures for noise-free output,
and a few choice words about Sony’s A7 cameras
http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/making-ev-bracketed-exposures.html

1 Like

Quoting from your blog post:

But despite pleas from photographers, raw histograms and zebras based on raw histograms are not available in any digital camera that I know of.

Well, maybe not available in stock firmware, but Magic Lantern adds them. JFYI.

1 Like

I didn’t know ML did zebras. Magic Lantern is an excellent reason to get a Canon camera. Too bad there is nothing similar for Sony, at least afaik.

1 Like

ML is definitely a boon to those of us with older cameras. I don’t do astrophotography; haven’t tried. Any good resources for a beginner?

I read this, and it’s too bad Sony is going the opposite way with it’s firmware. Even though M43 sensors are smaller, Olympus at least adds all sorts of fun tools that make Astrophotography easier. For example, I took this photo over the weekend using the “live time” mode, which lets me see the image “developing” on the LCD screen in real time. Super easy to get the exposure right!

Starry night.

10 Likes

Wow, very pretty! I’m guessing this is the same live-bulb mode I have on my older E-M5?

1 Like

@patdavid Yes, I believe the e-m5 does have at least some of the live “bulb” modes. I have three of these modes on the e-m10ii: live bulb, live time, and live composite. I’ve only really used the last two. In live time mode, you set a time interval, push the shutter to start exposing, and the screen refreshes at that rate showing the exposure. You can then stop the exposure at any point by pressing the shutter again. Live bulb is the same, but you have to hold the shutter button down the whole time (which is why I never use it). In live composite mode, you take a base exposure, and then the camera keeps taking more exposures, melding only brighter pixels into the first exposure. Just like a “lighten” layer blend in GIMP. It’s great for light painting, lighting, fireworks, and moving water.

1 Like

Please sign the petition to get Sony to fix this http://www.change.org/p/sony-remove-the-star-eater-on-sony-a7s-r-mk-i-ii-and-a9-cameras

2 Likes

My $.02, Canon is the only maker that can produce a true RAW file format (CR2). I shoot Nikon–wish I had gone the Canon route. NEF is merely a sudo RAW format. Okay for most subjects but not for Astro. Checl the web for more info.

All I could find is https://majid.info/blog/is-the-nikon-d70-nef-raw-format-truly-lossless/ which is quite old. Do you know of more recent information? “Check the internet” is pretty vague.

After searching for an answer for you I found this page:

What I said maybe be obsolete now. Canon is now apparently messing with compression of their CR2 engines. The above link shows comparisons and images of the various RAW settings. With Nikon (at least on my D700) You have the option of 14 bit or 12 bit files What I gather even the 14 bit RAW file is compressed but less so than the 12 bit file. Hope this helps…

Matthew Saville’s test is nonsense and the conclusion is based on a bogus premise.

This thread is about a specific issue with Sony cameras, please don’t hijack it.

1 Like

Relevant info: http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/the-sony-a7riii-eats-stars/. Kasson has since written more follow up articles; you can find them on his site.

1 Like

@afre - Thanks! for the update. That makes it pretty clear that whatever camera I might purchase in the future, it’s not likely to be a Sony.