sQsA Darktable - short question / short answer

Well, I don’t think we need a specific limit, its just for questions which are not really worth opening a new thread. So feel free. Everything that keeps this thread up and running is good :smile:

Regarding your question. I am currently evaluating myself, which way I should go. After reading the results from phoronix (More Darktable GPU/CPU Benchmarks - 27 Different Setups - Phoronix) I am optimistic, that a adequate graphics card (eg RX480) is quite capable of speeding up darktable drastically.

Of course, 1920x1080 will always be more responsive than 3840x2160, but the factor by which the processing is speeded up (regarding nonopencl vs opencl) should be similar in my eyes. It also depends highly on which graphics adapter is used.

I am currently observing the bitcoin/ether/… course and as its decreasing drastically because of the chinese market. Because of that I hope the graphics cards go to normal price ranges again. It was absolutley weird how far the prices for graphics cards have gone here in germany in the last months.

1 Like

Why no OpenCL? That will make a huge difference!

I’ve run DT on a 2k iMac with OpenCL on macOS and it is quite snappy

AFAIK, the first Generation of the MacBook retina didnt have a dedicated graphics adapter.

It is not the first generation. It is a 2015 model. But there seems to be no opencl support for the Iris 6100 chip :cry: (There is only Beignet, which is blacklisted in dt… at least the last time I tried).

I should have pointed out that the 4K display would be connected to my desktop, where I plan to use a gtx 1060. Hence, opencl should only be a problem on the macbook.

Treating grouped images as one is a long standing request which was brought back to life just a few days ago. I can’t tell yet what the solution will be. https://redmine.darktable.org/issues/8968 has some more info.

Thanks for your answer.

Unfortunatley I am not able anymore to search for lcoations in Darktable (Map Module). Does anybody else experience this issue? (Version 2.2.5). If I start darktable via the commandline, the following error message appears, when searching

location search: Fehler in Zeile 11, Zeichen 8: Element »body« wurde geschlossen, aber das derzeit offene Element ist »p«

Confirmed. I opened a bug report for it: https://redmine.darktable.org/issues/11741

Edit: It should be fixed now.

Hi, unfortunatley I can not confirm this. The error message in the console is gone, but I still do not receive any result

And I do see a lot of error messages in the terminal when switching between different map providers Is this normal behaviour?

You will need a recent build of the development version to get that fix. For a lack of general magic we can’t miracle it into the version you already got installed.

The errors when switching map providers are normal, yes. Not much we can do about them.

1 Like

Thanks, didn’t expect that… :wink:

After reading the bugreport I thought there was maybe some communication with osm. Especially because the error message was gone. Anyway, looking forward for the new version (is there a schedule for 2.3?)

There were two issues: A bad HTML response from OSM, which turned out to be an error message because dt didn’t set an user agent in the HTML request. They fixed the first part, we did the 2nd.

The next release will be 2.4.0. 2.3 is the internal numbering for our current development version. Even 2nd digit == release, uneven == development cycle.
If everything goes as planned it will be out this year, I personally aim for as early as possible.

Hi guys, I happen to use darktable with RX480 (bought specifically for darktable) on a 4K display, Intel i5 CPU, 16GB RAM, OpenCL enabled. Editing and exporting is nice and fast, no problem there. But I have to say that OpenCL is an absolute must, with CPU rendering everything takes about ten times as long.

However, I do have speed problems in Lighttable since I switched to the 4K display. It seems that the thumbnails (applies to Filmstrip as well) are redrawn on every pixel movement of the mouse, eating all the CPU and making Lighttable navigation extremely slugginsh. There’s a bug report for this (https://redmine.darktable.org/issues/10764), but unfortunately it didn’t seem to gather a lot of user attention, so I wonder if other people on 4K aren’t affected by this.

This issue is not really related to 4k. Maybe its getting worse with 4k, because there are more pixels, which are redrawn while moving the mouse, but I also do experience this issue (https://redmine.darktable.org/issues/11572)

Indeed, it’s just much more noticeable on large pixel count and since it’s CPU-based, openCL doesn’t help. Unfortunately for me it makes managing photos in lighttable almost unusable, I do everything in other programs and in darktable I immediately switch to darkroom only for editing.

May I ask what OS you are running? I wanna get a RX480 myself but would love to stick with tumbleweed. I am not sure, if the AMDGPU-Pro driver (which is needed for openCL AFAIK) will do a good job on a rolling release…

I’m using Mint, never tried installing it on a different one, sorry. The AMDGPU-Pro installation goes smoothly, I just had to modify the install script to accept Mint instead of plain Ubuntu (change one string).

I’m using Manjaro. I have AMD A10 7870K Radeon 7 but cannot get opencl working. I’ve installed amdgpu and opencl-amd but as a newbie to Linux I’m not sure what to do next to get opencl working in darktable. Any ideas?

Might this link be of use to you?
https://wiki.tiker.net/OpenCLHowTo

Or this one?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GPGPU

/Claes in Lund, Sweden

Thanks Claes - added to Pocket to read later.

I think this will not help. The opensource driver for AMD doesn’t include OpenCL Image support. So the only way to go is AMDGPU-Pro or fglrx (up to XOrg 1.17 if I remember correctly, fglrx doesn’t support any newer XOrg version.). But even if it would work I don’t know if it really would help as your CPU has a onboard graphics.

1 Like