St. Martin's croissant

Those are traditional treats for Poland’s Independence Day (11th November).
Home made.
I was lazy this time and satisfied with X-T1’s Provia JPG.

I’m curious about your take!

FUJI2733.RAF (32.0 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

10 Likes

ART

FUJI2733.jpg.out.arp (11.6 KB)

4 Likes

Very nice shot! dt 4.0.1

FUJI2733.RAF.xmp (6.3 KB)

1 Like

uhm I know it is off topic, but how about the recipe? :smiley:

6 Likes

Darktable 4.0.1

FUJI2733.RAF.xmp (17,0 KB)

3 Likes

FUJI2733.jpg.out.arp (15.6 KB)

Very appetising!

5 Likes

very good details on the croissant @ThomasM

2 Likes

@Leniwiec What lens did you use?

Thanks for posting,
darktable 4.0.1

FUJI2733_01.RAF.xmp (21.0 KB)

3 Likes

My wife (the coffee drinker) reckoned the coffee looked a bit insipid. I gave it a bit of a boost.

FUJI2733.RAF.xmp (9.7 KB)

3 Likes

darktable 4.0.1

FUJI2733.RAF.xmp (7,8 Ko)

1 Like

That could be quite a challenge for my English :grin: , but:

For the dough

• 1 kg of “405 flour” (for baking a cake, not a bread)
  • 125 g sugar
  • 250 ml rapeseed oil
  • 6 egg yolks (only, no whites)
  • 50 g orange sugar (or vanillin sugar plus peel from two oranges)
  • 14 g dry yeast (yeast-powder, it might be called, I think)
  • 0,5 l lukewarm milk

Put all ingredients into a bowl, knead a smooth dough, then cover the bowl with a cloth. Put it somewhere warm until it raises to be twice the volume. Then, with your hands covered with e.g. butter, knead it again and leave it covered once more to rise again, about 1,5 - 2 times the volume.

Meanwhile, for the filling

• 200 g white ground poppy seed (“biały mak mielony” in Polish)
  • 100 g almond flour
  • 100 g honey
  • 50 g butter
  • 50 g sour thick cream
  • 250 ml milk
  • almond oli (according to taste)

Boil the milk & butter, then pour it into the poppy seed (‘brew’ verb?).
Then mix it with the rest ingredients with a spoon. Add some chopped walnuts, raisins, apricots or what you like.

Form croissants with the filling and bake in 180°C about 20 minutes.

Then the icing
Lemon or orange juice + icing (powder?) sugar
And then… I can’t find the proper verb :wink: : dot, funnel, snow, place, put coarsely chopped walnuts and / or almonds.

8 Likes

Minolta MC ROKKOR - PF • 58 mm f/1.4, the first version with flat focusing ring. From year 1968, I think.

I’ve shot a set of apertures from 1,4 to 4,0 if someone’s interested. This one is f/2,8 I believe.

@Jean-Marc_Digne Oh, I was wondering if someone, and in what way, would add light or another local adjustment :slight_smile:

@kakashy St. Martin's croissant - #11 by kakashy

I also tried to think about some colour grading, but had no clue how to do it in an attractive way. What colours and how to add them. I like your idea a lot :+1:

2 Likes

Hello,
As a baker by training, I had to make a proposal. Here it is with version 4.1. (master).
Bon appétit :wink:

FUJI2733.RAF.xmp (15.9 KB)
Greetings from Brussels,
Christian

3 Likes

Hello,
Sorry, I posted my proposal too quickly, I notice some chromatic aberration on the edge of the cup and the sharpness and the edges were also too pronounced.

Here is a second version,

FUJI2733.RAF.xmp (19.0 KB)

Greetings from Brussels,
Christian

3 Likes

@Leniwiec Thanks for sharing! The croissant looks scrumptious and placement on pointe. It is no wonder given how rich the recipe is. Unfortunately, I have to be dairy and gluten free…

It is interesting how some PlayRaw entries added a cast to the image whereas others tried not to. Another thing is we can guess who has high nit displays based on the average brightness the results are set. Or maybe a dimmer view evokes an earlier morning?

November 11 is Remembrance Day in Canada.

1 Like

Sweet mother of gawd! it is an enriched dough with pudding blended in! Will have to make these soon!

one thing missing about how many do you get out of a batch?

Yes, given some time to analyse, we can come to the interesting conclusions.

It is also precious for me, as I happen to be able to create technically perfect, yet boring results. I think I lack some imagination, and no wonder even kids can create more moody pics with their smartphone and in-app filters, than I can with such powerful tools like darktable :face_with_peeking_eye:

We’ve got exactly 51 this time :grin: The other half was given to my aunt :smiley:

1 Like

Good light conditions have your photos

1 Like

Smacznego.

FUJI2733.RAF.xmp (15.6 KB)

1 Like