Stairway to sea

Hi all,

I’m developing my old pictures with darktable. I was trying to get a dramatic feeling here, but I’m not very satisfied yet.

I would like to know how would you develop it! :slight_smile:

_DSC4390.ARW (24.4 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

4 Likes

I’m not seeing the raw file here. Was it removed?

Oh sorry, I forgot it. I just edited the message with the RAW file. Thanks!

_DSC4390.ARW.arp (12.7 KB)

3 Likes

My version…

_DSC4390.ARW.xmp (17.9 KB)

3 Likes

RawTherapee + Krita

8 Likes

I don’t have an edit, but I have been musing about this category (play raw).

I have, and I am sure that others have too, a similar picture to this. I wonder if posting my picture, and the process/edits for the purpose of comparison is a valid thing to do?

What does the commenteriat think?

In my try at this photograph I have emphasised the green of the water in the foreground, increased the contrast and made the spray stand out a little more. All done in GIMP.

2 Likes

_DSC4390.ARW.xmp (13.7 KB)

1 Like

_DSC4390.ARW.xmp (10.2 KB)

Darktable 3.8

1 Like

I thought @Jade_NL had the right idea, monochrome. Water can have great texture in such treatment. Also let me add aggressive contrast that wouldn’t have looked good in color:

Crop put elements in the shadows in a good place…

6 Likes

_DSC4390.jpg.out.arp (10.9 KB)

Tried to emphasize the dramatic area by darkening the rest.

ART

3 Likes

Hope you don’t mind a bit of manipulation with your jpeg instead. Felt fine art for this capture. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

nice Photo.
Here I have 2 edits
First one I cheated and used GMIC’s stylize on it - with the Great Wave

2nd one I add some blue, contrast to bring the white out more and also darkened it to (hopefully) make it look more threatening and colder

4 Likes

That would be fine as long as it doesn’t dominate or derail the thread. It would be good for you to submit an edit of the OP raw for comparison.

Excellent opportunity to stylize. Melted a few of the rail posts but otherwise a good take.

2 Likes

Excellent idea!

1 Like