Street market (Bologna, Italy, December 2019)

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to upload the RAW. Here it is.

_DSC7409.NEF (27.7 MB)

_DSC7409.NEF.xmp (10.7 KB)

This file is licensed CC0.

[That was the time when a deadly virus entered into our private lives. I haven’t traveled since then.]

8 Likes

Pictures you can smell :smiley:

1 Like

I would love to edit this image. could you please attach the raw file. Thanks.

@Terry Oops! Sorry, I updated the original post including the RAW file.

_DSC7409(1).NEF.xmp (24.0 KB)

8 Likes

Hello,
a very nice Italian street atmosphere, for me it’s a holiday atmosphere, La Dolce Vita.
I tried to highlight the contrast of the two light sources (daylight and electric spotlight) while accentuating the colour palette.
DT4.3 + Sigmoid

_DSC7409.NEF.xmp (15.2 KB)
Greetings from Brussels
Christian

4 Likes

RawTherapee 5.9 dev (dcp|pp3 (23.5 KB))

EDIT: Noticed and removed a very slight greenish haze.

4 Likes

_DSC7409.NEF.pp3 (12.2 KB)

1 Like

GIMP. Added a radial gradient and a crop to focus attention on the fruit. Greatly exaggerated colours!

My attempt in dt 4.2.1. It looks pretty similar to most of the others. I probably made the most real change in the extreme highlights.

_DSC7409.NEF.xmp (6.7 KB)

3 Likes

You definetely did that! :smile:

1 Like

_DSC7409.NEF.xmp (13.6 KB)

Nice

4 Likes

@lightlover You chose a vertical crop similar (but not the same) to that of like @hatsnp.

I like the overall render, also in the colors, it’s very balanced. Thank you.

1 Like

Not so easy to develop, the temptation is to brighten it too much at the expense of three-dimensionality.

1 Like

Having studied how all of you interpreted your own versions of the light and colors returned by this photo, I started to question my memory about the light and colors of that day.

It was Winter (December 30th), hazy sky, very cold for me. This narrow little road wasn’t touched by sun rays, mid morning, and the artificial lights set a tone (not to talk about those ugly blue leds in the background).

In my memory the overall light and colors were warmer than what Darktable gave me back, so I shifted the color calibration a bit towards warmer tones.

To make it short: tonight I opened the out of camera JPEG for a comparison and probably the scene wasn’t as warm as I remembered it (please notice that in the camera settings I always set the JPEG to be “neutral”).

If you are interested, here it is.

2 Likes

Yes. Very balanced, as I said.

Thought I would add a little daylight to the scene. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fireworks!

My version…

_DSC7409.NEF.xmp (18.7 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for posting
darktable 4.2

_DSC7409_01.NEF.xmp (18.9 KB)