Struggling with direct light

Interesting, taking out the yellow like you did in the second image helps with both the sky and detail (lightness?) in the greenery.

I think I just used the colorfulness and brightness sliders in CC module for a quick tweak. They can be awesome for just pumping up or in this case knocking down a bit channel based color properties without having to go in to full on channel mixer mode…

This is a challenging image that could be processed in multiple ways. The tome equalizer is very important with an image like this. There are some YouTube videos on it if you are not familiar with this essential module.

IMG_2395.CR2.xmp (6.3 KB)

1 Like

My attempt

1 Like

IMG_2395.CR2.xmp (12.4 KB)

IMG_2395_01.CR2.xmp (12.9 KB)

2 Likes

IMG_2395.jpg.out.pp3 (14,1 KB)

1 Like

My version…

IMG_2395.CR2.xmp (16.7 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for all your input, learning quite a bit by studying the various xmp’s. Also, fun to see the various takes, the tone can be quite different :slight_smile:

darktable 4.0.1

IMG_2395_03.CR2.xmp (16.4 KB)

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Here is a version with the development version of darktable 4.1 and the new sigmoid and highlight reconstruction modules.

IMG_2395_01.CR2.xmp (20.5 KB)
Greetings from Brussels
Christian

5 Likes

Nice one, thanks!

Looking forward to sigmoid (and the highlight reconstruction module) landing in stable. Those might make me finally stop being lazy and compile master :slight_smile:

There should be lots of builds floating around and its easy to run multiple versions… or wait :slight_smile:

Are you on windows? If so, how about this: Nightly PKG · Workflow runs · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

I believe it is in master now … If that is stable for you.

Struggling with direct light_IMG_2395.CR2.xmp (16.1 KB)

Thank you for the challenge, this is my attempt.

Opened in RT and edited using GIMP with GMIC filters.

Simple local contrast applied twice with the second blended using multiplied function. A gradient mask used to protect the skies.

Saturation increased

Mean curvature blur set at 3 to reduce noise

What a good shot! Here is the impressionist interpretation.

IMG_2395.CR2.xmp (16.2 KB)

My play in GIMP.

Interesting interpretations, thanks a lot! I’ll give DT 4.4.x a go, it should have some nice goodies.

Almost looks frosty :slight_smile: