suggestion for RT filename change

I just downloaded the latest RT, and it has a “WinVista_64” filename. I’m guessing that there’s a reason for that but there can’t be too many still running Vista.

Would “Win_64” be better?

Hello @Blaze

I suppose Windows Vista is not even supported right now by Microsoft…

It was by far the most terrible “upgrade” ever released by Microsoft; therefore it really deserves to be deleted from memory as soon as possible :slight_smile:

@Silvio_Grosso This reminded me of a comic from a while back.
Steve Jobs’ Hell | Madroub

2 Likes

Hello @sls141

Thanks for the comic: It made me laugh :slight_smile:

Perhaps, the Rawtherapee developers have kept the name “Vista” in their installers on purpose. In order to scare the Windows users and force them to try Linux instead… :slight_smile:

Long-running software projects will sometimes name their executables based on the oldest OS that’ll run it. I don’t know if this is the case for RT, but I find my musing to be plausible… :smile:

1 Like

Hello @ggbutcher

Long-running software projects will sometimes name their executables based on the oldest OS that’ll run it.

Yep, you are probably right!

However Vista is no longer supported by Microsoft and thus it looks strange (not wrong per se…) to get this reference in the installers:

@Silvio_Grosso Right on! Modern Linux is better than Windows in almost all aspects. I’m surprised why Windows is still so popular.

1 Like

Iirc, exactly that was the reason.

But I am almost sure last RT no longer runs on Vista due to some dependencies.

Unfortunately, humans are highly susceptible to marketing and vendor lock-in – two areas that Microsoft excels at.

I already discussed with @Carmelo_DrRaw to drop “Vista” from the filename regarding automated RawTherapee and HDRMerge builds.