Sunset Darktable

Happy Easter everyone!

I am new here, and i would like to improve my editing skills. So i thought i share a image i captured last week, and see how you would edit it. I would appreciate if you edit the image with Darktable. Your tipps to improve my editing skills are much appreciated.
I hope you forgive my English. It is not my first language.

Here is my version edited with Darktable 3.4.1:

DSC_1005.NEF (27.5 MB)

This work by Joachim Braun is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

11 Likes

Happy Easter and welcome to the forum!

Your English is fine; my every-other-language is not so hot, so my apologies for having to put up with me. Also, apologies for not using darktable; but there’s something to be learned in every edit IMHO…

An interesting exposure; the scene looks like it should be high-dynamic-range, but it really isn’t. Underexposed, but I much prefer that to having to recover blown highlights. I used a control-point curve to spread the image data out to my preference. i also used a color profile for your camera based on measured spectral sensitivity, data courtesy of the OpenFilmTools project. And, just a little bit of HSL color saturation, because i don’t have the fancy darktable tools… :smiley: Here’s my rendition, using rawproc:

Also, here’s the Nikon D750 color profile: Nikon_D750_dcamprof.icc (212.5 KB)

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum Joachim!

Thank you for the picture, i really like the scene. Attached my try in DT 3.4.1

DSC_1005.NEF.xmp (29.9 KB)

DSC_1005_01.NEF.xmp (16.7 KB)

Welcome to the forum, nice picture!
Dt 3.4.1

2 Likes

sunset.nef.xmp (22.7 KB) darktable 3.5.0+1580~g1eb0866d0

Emphasized the moody/dramatic side of things a bit…

Thanks for sharing!

Oh, and welcome to pixls!!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing
darktable 3.4.1

DSC_1005_01.NEF.xmp (35.8 KB)

1 Like

sunset.pp3 (19.3 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 (Development)

You specifically asked for darktable edits, and I did a moody/dramatic one a bit earlier. But this being Play Raw and me thinking this is a nice image to play with I had to do an edit using RawTherapee.

Different crop, not as moody (or over-the-top if you like) as my previous one. Kinda like this one better…

1 Like

Welcome to forum @jjbraun!

What a beautiful shot! That play with colors and light…

DSC_1005_01.NEF.xmp (17,1 KB)

As for your processing, actually it’s already pretty good. But the way I see the scene, central element is the illuminated mountain and red tree tops. That should be in the foreground. To that extent I won’t lighten the sky very much, because otherwise the depth of the scene will look flat. The darker sky just reinforces this central motif. Also, I won’t do too much local contrast on the trees in the foreground, because that will amplify the texture and make it look a bit busy.

6 Likes

Sunset_Darktable_02.NEF.xmp (41.4 KB)

Great shot! I’ve wanted to do a scene like this one for a while now.!

2 Likes

Interesting how different the edits turned out. I tried “to contain myself” to achieve a more “natural” look.

DSC_1005.NEF.xmp (12.7 KB)

5 Likes

DSC_1005.NEF.arp (12.7 KB)

1 Like

Wysyłanie: DSC_1005-photoflow-GIMP_LAB.jpg

Photoflow + GIMP_LAB

DSC_1005.NEF.xmp (24.6 KB)

mine :slight_smile:

1 Like

@jjbraun @David_Prescott Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing!

Lovely shot. This is from my usual darktable routine.

DSC_1005.NEF.xmp (20.7 KB)

Love the photo.
The different areas of lighting are beautiful. DSC_1005.jpg.xmp (985 Bytes)

dt 3.4.1

DSC_1005.NEF.xmp (8.8 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this really nice picture!
Edit in darkable.
DSC_1005
DSC_1005.NEF.xmp (14.3 KB)

1 Like

dt 3.4

DSC_1005.NEF.xmp (57.7 KB)

1 Like

Sunset_jjbraun_DSC_1005.NEF.xmp (19.4 KB)
Nice picture! I really like the colors :slight_smile:
I decided to crop close to a square because I feel it gives the Image a slightly better balance. For me, the challenge was not overdoing the saturation while keeping the strong sunset glow on the highlights.