Supermoon coming on April 7th

On April 7/8 we will get a fullmoon which is very near to earth, called a ‘supermoon’

In the last days I took some photos using a Beroflex 500mm f8 and a 2x teleconverter on my Pentax K50 (APS-C).

April 01

April 03

April 04

Let’s hope the weather stays clear, that view won’t come very often.

9 Likes

probably especially interesting for our siril folks @lock042 @vinvin

maybe we should make a capture challenge in the siril forum for it.

2 Likes

In this article there is also information about the alignment of Jupiter, Saturn and Mars with the moon (visible at least for this Down Under part of the world)

Really great idea :).
Comet capturing is one of the most difficult thing in astrophotography as comet goes fast.
Let’s do it :).

Small update from yesterday night:

3 Likes

And this is the current supermoon from western germany. I was at the same locations like in the last nights with same light situation and today’s moon was much brighter than in the last days.

1 Like

Cool!
Did you stack multiple frames?

No sighting due to overcast and rainy skies. :frowning:

This was just a single shot; moreover, I never tried stacking before.
I took several shots of the moon. Maybe I try the enfuse plugin for darktable later.
Is there a good open-source software out there for focus stacking and aligning?

this comet apparently just broke up, so I wouldn’t put my hopes up regarding this one.

I understand there was a moon behind all the cloud cover tonite. :wink:

Not sure if Hughin/enfuse would do the task. Even Gimp, if you have only a few frames.
Not sure if Siril is already prepared for that. Maybe worth asking @lock042

Here’s my humble contribution. Sony a6000 and a vintage Ricoh 135mm f/2.8 in M42 mount. I have also a 2x teleconverter but it degrades quality so much that you gain nothing (and lose contrast instead).
Maybe a bit oversharpened, I was trying to squeeze all the details possible out of it…

5 Likes

that looks gorgeous, how did you shoot that? (camera, tripod, lens, exposure and so on?) :slight_smile: thanks!

Here comes my try from the 6th of april
Olympus E-M1 Mark1 with 300mm+converter ( that are 840mm, 35mm equivalent)

3 Likes

Late to the party, but this is my take:

I tried a different technique now: 12 images aligned in Hugin, stacked with enfuse and processed (mostly sharpening, local contrast, texture boosting and crop) in ART.

Hugin refused to also stack the images, this is why I used enfuse and maybe did not used the optimal parameters …

1 Like