Thank you for the great work + InPaint is really good

I just want to say thank you for everyone that contributes stuff to G’MIC to make powerful features available to everyone. I have been trying to see if I can use Gimp instead of Photoshop/Affinity in my workflow.

One thing I needed to test is a way to remove distractions occasionally sometimes you just can’t remove it before the shot. Thankfully this is not something needed regularly. Through some research I wanted to see if there was a way to do this in Gimp more quickly. Photoshop and Affinity obviously have “Content-Aware”/In Painting. I stumbled on a video that was posted yesterday I think it was by Pixovert. He mentioned G’MIC had InPainting. Did not look good at first till I saw David’s comment that the video maker was using the tool wrong so I tried it the right way per the comment.

In my test I used a image from a Photoshop course I have. Not the hardest possible scenario but I know for a fact Photoshop and Affinity can’t do this removal in one go. Neither can G’MIC but G’MIC actually got a lot closer in one go and a simple Clone stamp can fix the slight seam in a second. Can’t share the whole image sadly but here is a super crop. The after already has the clone stamp work done. Not perfect I just did it haphazardly.

Again thanks everyone who contributes to this project. The more I dive into the world of Open Source the more I realize how powerful it has become over the years and even if not perfect it can’t get the job done good enough if not better.

3 Likes

Thanks for this feedback, I think I did well to post a corrective message under the Youtube video :slight_smile:

1 Like