The Breakwater, (Creative Edit)

Inspired by a talk (via zoom, due to covid!) at my local photography club one evening, on creative photography, I took another look at an image I took of St Monans Breakwater, to come up with this creative edit.

Basically, just mirroring, plus cloning some bits out from each side to make it less “obviously” mirrored.

Does it “work” as an image? I like it anyway, and I had fun processing using Gimp & Darktable.

I think I’ll submit this as one of my entries to my local photography clubs first monthly competition. I can’t see it doing very well though, as it is based on a rather well photographed breakwater at St Monans, Fife, Scotland.

12 Likes

I really like this. The shape is interesting, its moody. What really gives it away as a mirror is the sky and the water in the front. Can you clone in the sky from the non-mirrored version? And some texture generation would break up the water.

2 Likes

lol, I hadn’t actually thought about dropping in the sky from the non mirrored version! I tried mucking around with clone / heal tool instead…

I think I’ll do that, as the sky is looks quite obviously mirrored.

Nice concept! With a little work, it’ll be something amazing.

Final edit done!

13 Likes

Very nice!

Sadly it didn’t do too well in my club photography competition. Mainly due to blown highlights in areas, so it got 16 out of 20.

Oh—was that the only objection or were there others? I did say it could use some work (didn’t say anything since this was in the showcase category) but I didn’t find the blown highlights that much of a detractor. Are the winners displayed somewhere? Interested in taking a look at the photos you were up against.

1 Like

Is their esome type of rule that says you can’t have clipping?

2 Likes

I can’t see “blown highlights”. I see some very small regions with “pure white”. Actually, gimp tells me that there are 345 pixels out of 1307600 that have a value of 255. Is it not allowed to use the full 8 bit range of JPG? Or are you using other formats for the actual competition?

Nevertheless, I like your edit a lot!

2 Likes