The duck with an attitude

There a blueish tint on the chest. Not sure how to remove it or if its possible.

IMG_4075.CR2 (18.6 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

I just pulled it up …adjusted filmic a bit and used dehaze and diffuse and sharpen…

IMG_4075.CR2.xmp (8.2 KB)

1 Like

Try turning Highlight Reconstruction off or else change the highlight reconstruction to a different method (e.g. reconstruct color )

No filmic just for fun…
IMG_4075_01.CR2.xmp (9.6 KB)

4 Likes

Based on @priort’s version:

call %PICTBAT%tileDp toddsDuck.jpeg x2.tiff 1 0 flood

%IMG7%magick ^
  x2.tiff ^
  -duplicate 4 +smush -4 ^
  -crop 6735x2706+3297+809 +repage ^
  duck3.jpg

The Windows script tileDp.bat is described at Tiling with dark paths. I have updated the script for IM v7, but haven’t yet updated the web page.

3 Likes

Nice Duck!
RT 5.8 dev
Edit: first try was too bright! Resized within RT and sharpening after resize.
btw, RT did not show blue colours

IMG_4075_RT-4.jpg.out.pp3 (15.0 KB)

1 Like

IMG_4075.CR2.xmp (19.4 KB)

1 Like

IMG_4075.CR2.xmp (15.6 KB)

1 Like

ART

5 Likes

Thank you. This helped.

1. Yes the highlights give the cast.
  2. In birds feathers we sometimes have moire also leading to false colors. Just reminding that would be something for lmmse demosaicing…
1 Like

I want to thank all of you for guiding me. I’m a novice when it comes to both photography and darktable and get my knowledge by watching excellent tutorials on Youtube.

I was wondering how will a novice know that a module turned on by default pipeline needs to be turned off? I tend to leave default pipeline alone as I don’t consider myself expert and start tinkering after default pipeline

Apologies, my answer may have caused you to think sometimes you need to sometimes turn off the default modules but that is almost never needed (although some you adjust). My advice to turn off highlight reconstruction was incorrect, you need that module and filmic to work together due to the fact that you really did have fully clipped highlights in small areas of the feathers. I didn’t think you did and therefore didn’t need highlight reconstruction. But, when you zoom in at 100% and just turn off highlight reconstruction, the blue is gone but you’ll see some very tiny small red/pink areas. So some clipping is happening. By using the reconstruct color method in highlight reconstruction it takes care of that problem. Good description of each method is in the manual.

1 Like

No need to apologize, I’m the student and asking questions. I’ve seen modules switched off in few videos too and I was trying to understand that.

I suppose it’ll come with experience and an eye on the image and potential problems in the image. I’m not there yet.

2 Likes

IMG_4075.CR2.xmp (15.4 KB)

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity I pulled this RAW into Filmulator (default settings) and shows no unnatural colour cast. I don’t know what magic CarVac has distilled into this program, but it consistently produces excellent results!

The Black/White point possibly needs adjusting so the highlight reconstruction knows where to work from. I would suggest the default is incorrect for that camera CR2 file if that’s the case, I had the same with my Lumix G9 RW2 files back when I used it and was a right pain to work out what the issue was, which I only worked out when I had moved on from the system already - but would have made processing a TON easier to have that good starting point.
I just opened the file in Lightroom (yes yes, I know) and it processes beautifully. Defaults matter.