"The GIMP" has been forked by folks who find the name offensive

The GIMP is not the name, it’s an abbreviation. The name is The GNU Image Manipulation Programme (program to Americans).

I’d say this is way too much of an over generalization.

You may say as you wish. My experience dictates otherwise. There are, occasionally, very flaccid reasons for taking bat and ball home, as in this case. But they are the rarity, far from the generality.

Just like I wrote. The official long form of the acronym.
Whats your point with the nagging about it?

Just my three cents, let me try to desrcibe an anology:

If someone would fork RawTherapee (because he (she) does not like the pee at the end if the word, just giving it the name RawTherapy for example. What would change?

Imho not much. You may attract some people by doing that, but you can not get good developers out of nothing. The developers and also the testers and all the people which contribute to a project like GIMP or RT or whatever, do that because they want (or need) to use the software.

Names are just words. Functionallity counts.

I would buy my medicine (If I would need medicine) in a Mohren-Apotheke in Germany, but there are approaches to forbid that wording (though Mohre is derivred from Mauren, which signed, the Pharmacy sold meds from northern Africa, for a reason)

5 Likes

Quoting Mondayman: “But most importantly: Is it really named “The” GIMP?”. Your understanding did appear to be confused, so I answered your question. it now appears you’ve read your OP.

The point, of course, is that there is a fork of a well established product. I first tried The GIMP in 2002, long before it was available on 'Doze or other proprietary platforms. The reason for forking now is not because of a difference of opinion in development direction or the overall team wishing to try two or more approaches to see which works best in which situations. It’s what sounds no more than a hissy fit. So where is it going?

If people wish to take such a course I have no objection. Nor do I have any objection to people wishing to discuss the matter at such a superficial level.

I am simply pointing out the facts as I see them and observing that without an attractive development plan giving a focus and direction for the fork, I can’t see them attracting either competent developers or funds in competition to an extremely popular, well functioning, cross-platform, pre-existing software doing exactly the same thing.

Isn’t it a hoax? :crazy_face:

I see.
I thought you wanted to correct my post right before yours, where I had the right words for the acronym.
To the post you refering to, I just never heard the term “The Gimp” before (at least not for the program) and wasnt sure. It sounds strange to me.
I also wouldnt call Photoshop “The Photoshop” or Krita “The Krita”.

The acronym of The GNU image manipulation program is surprisingly unfortunate I’ve found. When discussing it at work, where we use Photoshop, people do snigger when they hear the name. It does stand in the way of adoption around here, it being slow is of course a bigger problem.

There’s no accident companies spend millions on branding. It’s real. Despite this I don’t really mind the current name. Probably because I’ve got nothing at stake.

I’m for being more inclusive and avoiding being offensive to people who have disadvantages in our society. I’m very much for being offensive to those that have advantages. I doubt however the issue with the GIMP is disabled or kinky people. It’s much more likely to be corporate friction. GIMP just sounds a bit weird which is very dangerous to many companies and people who want to impress the corporate world.

1 Like

Probably. But now I hear a proprietary company may be involved, or at least some personnel thereof, I begin to wonder about the motive. Having said that, Oracle took over MySQL and have supported it under its original FOSS licence rather than using it for purely proprietary purposes.

Agreed, forum software can be confusing in that respect. My original reply was not to your post but the software placed it immediately beneath something you had written. If you look in the top right corner of each post, there is a bent arrow pointing to the user the post is in response to. That doesn’t automatically take you to the actual post being responded to, but at least it’s a clue.

Sniggering at the name or at FOSS in general? It’s amazing how misled even the most responsible people can be. Especially when succumbing to the continual brainwashing stream of FUD the advertising industry is so handsomely paid to regurgitate. Just a small proportion of that being diverted from boardrooms to proper software development would soon help developers recruit to spend more time on speed as well as utility.

I currently work for a major bank and its data centers are filled to the gunwales with Linux systems (still a few mainframes left, though), running Java apps (OpenJDK) with Apache libraries, so it’s not FOSS in general. Unless nobody told management :slight_smile:

Indeed. When security is of the essence the proprietaries are opened to daylight - and the failings glare harshly in the sunlight. FUD is light-intolerant, it seems.

I’m offended by folks who take offense at the name GIMP. What now?

Complete and utter insanity.

Here you can find a rather illuminating discussion: Build and upload continuous AppImage for Linux · Issue #108 · glimpse-editor/Glimpse · GitHub

It looks like all gimp plugins will need to be modified to work with glimpse… It sounds like this is failing from the start.

FYI I was mentioned in this discussion, but I have no plans to maintain build scripts for them. They can obviously fork the gimp appimage machinery of they like it…

2 Likes

But you’re prolific, @Carmelo_DrRaw. Thanks for all your work!

1 Like

You can quote specific sections of others posts if you want a more concrete reference to reply to (just highlight the text in their post and you’ll see a pop-up option to quote it).

Also, if you click the curved arrow above a post to see which post it’s referring to, this forum actually loads the original post just above the response for easy reference:

2 Likes

“Gnu Imp”

Made my day. But given the recursiveness in “Gnu”, this is also “G(nu)* Imp”.

Some other requests are interesting (redoing the whole UI, removing the Export/Save distinction…).

I thought of calling it that just for kicks but imp can be offensive too… so… :sweat_smile: