This is appalling

Take a look here for how dark you can find, there or anywhere else:

http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html

3 Likes

Nice site, Glenn…thanks for posting.

1 Like

Yep, seen that one. I like this one, too: https://www.lightpollutionmap.info

2 Likes

So, two YouTubers I’ve never heard of with small ~30K subscriber channels declare 25+ year old open source project dead? OK.

9 Likes

:+1: :+1: spot on!

1 Like

:wink:

Thank you for the much needed context. You saw through the trees and spotted the wood!

No, it was a personal opinion. And it seems you didn’t watch the video. His very first sentence said it all :wink: And number of subscribers does not say anything. If it would some excellent & famous darktable channels look not too well.

I am a semi pro landscape / astro photographer. I love my Darktable / Gimp workflow, I would gladly pay for it if needed, I could never bring myself to go backwards and use archaic lightroom / photoshop again. I am significantly more productive and generate much better quality works with darktable / gimp.

Nope, did not watch. I got things to do and watching YouTube is usually a waste of time especially when the click-bait-o-meter is pretty high.

But I would say that in an attention based economy subscribers and views are indeed the thing including what one does to try to capture those. Eyeballs are the new dollars, just don’t try to pay your electricity bill with them because the envelope gets soggy.

1 Like

I watched a (very) little but I canned it pretty quickly. His obvious bias got old really quick, not to mention his refusal to maturely engage with @prokoudine in the comments. I don’t necessarily agree 100% with Everything GIMP (nor pretty much anything else), but there’s nothing of value in his dodgy viewpoint.

[ edit ] - “Attitude” would probably be a more accurate term than “viewpoint”.

1 Like

Seems like you are assuming that Adobe is behind this somehow. But this guy is actually switching to Affinity Photo which is a very nice package with PS-like workflow, a perpetual license, and a very cheap one at that. I wouldn’t use it (for starters, that would mean switching to Windows/macOS for daily work), but I completely understand why users pick it over GIMP.

Nobody needs to be paid by Adobe. All it takes is someone who is genuinely tired waiting for workflow boosters like adjustment layers that users have had in other software since late 1990s. It’s a completely valid argument whichever software you pick instead of GIMP. You don’t like his unprofessional attitude and I don’t like it either, but let’s not conflate attitude with argumentation.

Moreover, what do you really know about Adobe’s assumed heat over the subscription model? I mean, do you read their quarterly/annual reports? Because I do. The dip in revenue they had around the time they introduced subscriptions (ca. 10 years ago) is long gone. I’d have to double-check, but I recall the amount of licenses/subscriptions being now double of what was there in 2013.

If any lesson should be taken from this, it’s that the development model that GIMP and some other projects have is not really sustainable. A volunteer can do whatever he/she likes and no one has the right to tell them otherwise. But this freedom has its consequences.

It’s been 15+ years since the first commit towards the support for a new processing engine that promised non-destructive editing among other things, and we are not there yet. If v3.2 is another 5 years long development effort, we are going to see even more frustrated users calling it a day and quitting. Would you blame them for not wanting to be holding their breath for 20 years?

12 Likes

Where does he say he’s switching to Affinity Photo? He says he’s probably not doing tutorials for that and just doing them for LR and PS. Simply just not using GIMP any more because of it’s slow development or wanting/needing something else is fine but making stuff up about it, extending that to all open source, his click bait and unhinged comments indicates there’s something more to it.

It will be about money but it won’t be anyone paying him to say things. Creating drama gets you more views and he’s hoping to make money from the affiliate links as he encourages people to ‘upgrade’ from their ‘garbage’ open source software. He also thinks he’ll get more views from LS, PS content and videos about switching software.

1 Like

Yup, there are plenty of good reasons for not using GIMP and it’s got plenty of problems but I think declaring it “dead” is nothing short of click bait. The project will continue to putter along as it has for the last couple of decades. Will it become irrelevant to more and more people’s workflow? Probably, unless project picks up steam, but it’s far from dead or abandoned.

1 Like

In a newer video.

Not that it matters really but he’s not switching to it or doing tutorials for it, he uses Photoshop. He’s just giving paid alternatives for the affiliate links it seems.

If the Gimp makers saw that all Gimp users were leaving Gimp, that would motivate them little. But if the makers could see that there are many users, like me, who enthusiastically use Gimp for their serious work, that could help a lot.
I think we would have to make a call so they could see how enthusiastic we are about this good old software.
Long live Gimp!

3 Likes

What?! GIMP is dead?!

Sorry, but I didn’t know! I’ve still been using it to do everything I could ever possibly want or need from a professional-quality image editor!

Oh, no! Please help!

P.S. in the absence of a ‘sarcasm’ emoji, this one will have to do:

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

If a meteorite strikes the next GIMP developers meeting or they are bribed out by Adobe, it will not be an extinction event. The source is there, the packages are there.
There would be no further development, but some bone hard package maintainers in Debian would keep the package in the system. And if not, just install an older Linux system or compile it yourself. FLOSS is unkillable.

1 Like

These are wonderful thoughts. So I can consider the issue settled. Gimp will thus live forever.
Let’s speak practically: Whoever wants to use it can always use it, even if nothing new would be added.
Thank God.

2 Likes