To compile on Linux?

… and after a while back to Win, because you screwed up everthing by happily mixing package versions!

Nothing new and seen very often :worried:

I think I’ve seen this as well, but the warning from everyone are quite valid. Though it may seem to work for the moment, it maybe worth checking somewhere (MINT support forums?) to make sure that what you’re doing is sane. At least checking the docs real quick couldn’t hurt.

Keep cool Christian !
In any case, It is not your advice which will allow me to improve my knowledge of Linux…

This is true: I am running Mint 17 and happily installing packages from dhor/myway without issues. The base system is the same of a standard Ubuntu distribution.

Indeed Mint over-rides some packages from Ubuntu. They also pin some packages from Debian in there when necessary. As a long time Debian user, I would not recommend grabbing deb files from out side the distro and installing them, that will eventually lead to sadness.

PPAs indeed work well on Mint, this is much better than grabbing packages.

I use the LTS version of Xubuntu. In the past, when I tried compiling Rawtherapee from source, I ran into problems with dependencies. The required libraries were too new for the LTS version. This required me to grab packages from newer non-LTS versions of Xubuntu. So unless this practice has changed, I would essentially be grabbing packages outside of my versions repository. Maybe less risk than Linux Mint, but still a risk of breaking things.

The “dhor/myway” PPA is much appreciated.

All right ! I had better to come back to the old version ; the new one works at 95% but crash sometime when I use the saturation.

Not reporting the bug is the best way of not getting it fixed.
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/How_to_write_useful_bug_reports

1 Like

I didn’t want to report a bug because I’m not sur that the problem come from RT.
May be it come from a bad installation ?

I can’t tell without any info :slight_smile:

Ah! too late, I have uninstalled it…
The problem was several time when I have adjusted the contrast, and the saturation immediately after, the screen of RT has quickly disappeared and gave me back to the desktop screen.
I can try to compile it again if you want ?

Hi. The script didn’t work for me (bad git command, no ability to checkout a branch), but looked close enough for me to fix + some improvements.

To compile rawtherapee with branch gtk3 at /dir/compile_rt as a release version

./compile_rawtherapee -b gtk3 -d "/dir/compile_rt" -t release
use -h for a list of the commands

#!/usr/bin/env bash

while getopts "b:d:ht:" opt; do
  case "$opt" in
    b)
      branch="$OPTARG"
      ;;
    d)
      repo="$OPTARG"
      ;;
    h)
      echo ""
      echo "-b branch"
      echo "-d repo_directory"
      echo "-t build type [d|debug], [r|release]"
      exit 0
      ;;
    t)
      build_type="$OPTARG"
      ;;
  esac
done
shift $((OPTIND-1))

# If unset, set defaults
if [ -z "${repo+x}" ]; then repo="$HOME/repo-rt"; fi

if [[ ! -d "${repo}" ]]
  then
    git clone https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee "${repo}"
    exit 0
  else
    (cd "${repo}" git pull)
fi

if [[ "$build_type" == "d" ]] || [[ "$build_type" == "debug" ]];
  then
    echo Build type debug
    buildType="debug"
elif [[ "$build_type" == "r" ]] || "$build_type" == "release" ]];
 then
    echo Build type release
    buildType="release"
  else
    echo Build type release with debug info
    buildType="relwithdebinfo"
fi

cd "${repo}" || exit
git checkout "$branch"
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-std=c++11 -Wno-deprecated-declarations -Wno-unused-result" -DWITH_LTO="OFF" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="${buildType}" -DPROC_TARGET_NUMBER="2" -DBUILD_BUNDLE="ON" -DBINDIR="." -DDATADIR="." -DCACHE_NAME_SUFFIX=4 .. && make -j6 install

I am on xubuntu 16.04.1. (upgraded from 14.04.xx).
RT works fine without any problems (as everything else).
I compiled RT from source (git) according to wiki.