Tough exposure - stuck on highlights

OK here is one that I have been using to learn darktable with. It’s a crappy grabbed shot, backlit, etc… I can get most of the image more or less acceptable except for the foresail and the wake under the forefoot. I wonder what the hive can do with this and provide me with some guidance along the way.

The photo was taken as we sailed out of Corral in Chile and these chaps were just returning from their day’s fishing.

Have at it everyone :slight_smile:

IMG_0952.CR2 (17.9 MB) IMG_0952.CR2.xmp (19.2 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

2 Likes

Wrong image?

1 Like

No; why?

Ahh see what you mean… wrong raw file… will fix it

Thanks! That looks much better.

1 Like

Nice photo @Chris_Harris!

Is this good enough for you?

or a bit warmer:

2 Likes

My versions:

IMG_0952.CR2.xmp (17.8 KB)

IMG_0952.CR2.xmp (18.6 KB)

1 Like

a-IMG_0952-1.jpg.out.arp (11.8 KB)

Other interpretation

a-IMG_0952-4.jpg.out.arp (13.7 KB)

1 Like

2 Likes

darktable 3.0.2IMG_0952_01.CR2.xmp (10,1 Ko)

1 Like

@s7habo thanks the second image has the truer colours on the boat. What was your process please? Nice crop I have played with something similar … tells the story better than the isolated boat.

@Thomas_Do thanks will examine your xmp this evening after work :slight_smile: Your colour version is better than mine, in terms of a nice even image, but looks a but de-saturated compared to reality particularly the boat but that is in shadow so tricky to pull up, and what I was aiming for with the edit I posted up here. This photo lends itself to many different styles of edit though :slight_smile:

1 Like

I try to avoid over saturation and over sharpening (but often fail :wink: ). We tend to overdo these things. Especially when directly compared to more saturated and sharper versions, images may look flat and “boring”.
Its no problem to increase general saturation to taste. Below a version, where also the saturation of yellow is increased.

IMG_0952.CR2.xmp (19.0 KB)

PS And it also strongly depends on the monitor used. I sometimes wonder, why some experienced forum members do so ugly edits. And then I see my own edit on another monitor and it looks even more ugly :wink: .

1 Like

@Chris_Harris

Here is my process:

1. I used color look up table to darken blue from the sky and lighten green and brown:

1. Then I denoised photo with wavelets:

1. Lens correction:

1. Brightened with exposure:

1. Added first instance of local contrast with multiply blend mode:

1. Second instance:

1. Crop:

1. Increased contrast, brightened highlights and gave the whole scene a warmer tone (in mid-tones and highlights) with color balance:

1. Added some saturation with velvia and vibrance:

3 Likes

Nice photo, thanks for sharing. My take with DT 3.0.1

IMG_0952_01.CR2.xmp (13.7 KB)

2 Likes

Awesome thanks for sharing that in such detail. I’ve worked through the steps you showed and have something very similar. Less contrast in the sky but that might have been my ineptitude with the colour picker module.

1 Like

IMG_0952.CR2.xmp (8.4 KB)

1 Like

I do have a spyderX and have calibrated my monitor with that. I have tried the Spyder software and DisplayCal/Argyll and see a slight difference between them with the Display cal calibration coming out very slightly cooler looking when I switch between them.

@s7habo Running though your process I note that your sky has much more contrast than mine all the way through. I guess you achieved that contrast in the first step with the colour lookup module. Would you care to elaborate a bit more on what you did at that stage?

Gladly!

First of all I would like to recommend this nice video where @Bruce_Williams shows how to use this module with some examples:

Now, I’m just gonna concentrate on what I did in this photo. If you look at it roughly, the sky has three different colour areas:

To bring out the clouds, the rest of the sky needs to be darkened. The darkening of the sky (and the blue water) will also highlight the boat. So, we have to darken what I called the sky and horizon in the photo.

First we take that color picker in color look up table module and select the sky:

As you can see, the patch that comes closest to the color of the selection in the photo is automatically selected (white frame in the patch). Now we darken this patch with lightness slider:

The clouds are already better visible now, but the contrast is not so good yet. So we choose an area in the sky, which is similar to the first one in terms of brightness, but differs from it discreetly in terms of colour. The area around the horizon is suitable for this:

But, as you can see, automatically the same patch is chosen again, which means I have to choose another one and change it manually. With the selection in the picture and with the Shift key pressed, I click on another patch. In this one I click on the middle grey:

This patch has now taken the selection color. Now I darken this patch with the lightness slider:

If I lighten the green also, the colour of the boat and the tops of the waves will be also lighter:

By brightening the brown, the bot and the tips of the waves will be even more contrasty:

This color change has also caused the noise in the sky, which must be corrected afterwards:

3 Likes