Transfer DNG files from Pixel 6 Phone Pop! OS laptop?

What’s the best way to transfer raw (DNG) image files from my Pixel 6 phone to Darktable on my Pop! OS laptop? I see there’s an app called AirDroid Personal. Does that work well over WiFi? There’s also Android File Transfer For Linux but probably with a USB-C to USB-C cable?

Any hints appreciated.

I use nextcloud so I just shovel files into that.

That’s like Google Drive right? I could use Drive but the DNG files are a bit large so I thought if I waited till I got back home doing all of them on a faster home network would make sense.

pcloud, Dropbox, onedrive, etc have mobile apps that will backup the pictures to the cloud. Some have the options to only backup over wifi (no mobile data).

Yes thanks. Darktable has some amazing capabilities. Just poking around I see that it recognises my Google Drive so that or one of the others might be the way to go.

I tend to overthink this stuff. Simple is always better.

Haven’t tried it with my phone, but I guess Rapid Photo Downloader should work.

I guess I’d have to connect the phone via USB-C and if it would work with RPD it should work with Darktable too.

I would move the files from the phone to a PC. Move them to the folder you want and then open darktable to import from that folder.

Using a cloud mobile app to upload the images from the phone is a way around having to get cables. I just open the cloud service from the PC and the images are there waiting for me.

I should have said that I’m using Linux (Pop! OS). I’m finding, though, that Linux is very versatile.

I use syncthing to transfer images from my smartphone to my Xubuntu desktop. It transfers new images via Wi-Fi automatically to my desktop without any 3rd party cloud and when I delete images on the desktop or move them to another folder the image on the phone gets deleted, too.
Only storage restriction is the storage capacity of the phone.

1 Like

KDEconnect on both your PC and phone makes for seamless and direct transfer. It is fast and avoids using secondary cloud systems.

2 Likes

It does.

I’m using an app called PhotoSync to automatically upload my Pixel DNGs twice a day to my NAS (if I’m on the home network).

It’s a bit fiddly to set up, and not free, but it works very reliably.

Man, so many options. I had no idea. Now my problem isn’t how to do it it’s which one to choose.

Thanks all!

Syncthing looks very interesting. All my photos are on a separate SSD so I guess with Syncthing if the SSD isn’t connected it wouldn’t sync. Would it automatically recognize when the SSD is hooked up?

Great suggestion. Thanks!

According to the syncthing forum that should work. Maybe you should stop syncthing before mounting/unmounting the external drive.

2 Likes

I already use Total Commander on my Pixel 4a and I have its SMB and NTFS plugins installed. I have a folder shared on my laptop and one on my NAS. For the rare times I need to transfer an image, I select it in F-Stop image viewer on my phone, share via Total Commander and just copy it to the laptop or NAS share. Total Commander also has ftp, sftp, webDAV, OneDrive and Google Drive plugins (plus others) so it’s a handy way to transfer stuff in general.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear on my initial post but I’m on Linux (Pop! OS)

I just use a USB cable and the file manager in Linux.
I also run KDE Connect, but it has sometimes resulted in corrupt files (which was very surprising, to be honest). I now just use it for the other functionality.

That was my initial thought. A USB cable from my phone to the laptop but if I’m on holiday I could have a lot of raw files and phone storage might be an issue so transferring as you go made sense.