Two questions about GIMP 2.9.5 (development version)

Although this is development version, it’s stable enough for my everyday work. Only two things I notice are a bit annoying:

1)Why GIMP always converts colour profile to “built in sRGB” even if my photos have sRGB colour profile?
This is unnecessarily time-consuming process.

1. What is “gama hack”?
    I actually don’t need to use that option but in one particular case - GEGL High pass filter - which I use very often, I need to enable it to get proper gray value. Moreover, to activate it there, I must first deactivate it and then activate it again.

You can change the color profile settings so that it always uses the profile in your file and doesn’t prompt you. It is in the settings.

No idea about gamma hack, but doesn’t it say not to mess with it? :wink:

Lol, that simple. And it works. One more point not to be to lazy to go through all that settings forest :slight_smile:

In deed, but in the case of High Pass filter I need to mess with it. :pensive:

Thx for your response and help paperdigits!

There have been some major shifts underlying the move to high bit depth and more color management capability in GIMP. This comes with added complexity at the moment, though.

I’m not sure about the GEGL HP filter, as I’ve always built my HP by hand. I’ll build a new version and have a quick look.

How do you build your own?

I’m using two methods for that:

1. Duplicate layer, apply Gaussian blur, invert it and change opacity to 50%. or

2. Duplicate layer, apply Gaussian blur, blend it with “grain extract” blend mode.

What I’ve noticed is, if I use GEGL High Pass filter from Gimp (with gamma hack) and blend it with “linear light” mode from GMIC I’m getting best sharpening results.

This is the method I’ll usually do. I’ll either use grain merge or overlay, adjusting opacity to taste.