Unable to associate Fuji RAF files with Rawtherapee5.1.exe

I had no problem directly running RT5.1 after installing it on Win7(64bit). It is excellent.

However I’m struggling to rid myself of a trivial irritant, and it’s this :

In my installation, both the desktop shortcut and the rawtherapee.exe file in the Windows 7 Explorer listing have an unidentified icon. The desktop icon can easily be changed to show the RT logo but I have not succeeded in changing the icon for the exe file in Explorer.
The apparent result of this, in my case, is that a Fuji RAF file cannot be associated with the RT5.1 exe.
In other words, double clicking a RAF file in Explorer should open RT and load the file but no longer does so. I have tried to add the RT.exe as an alternative application for opening RAF but windows does not accept it.
I have also looked at FileExts in the Windows registry and the RAF extension shows:
OpenWithList : photoshop.exe and rawtherapee.exe
UserChoice: application/rawtherapee.exe So that all seems OK but it only leaves me more confused as it doesn’t appear to do anything.

I wonder if there is something needed by Win 7 that is missing in the RT. exe.

Hi @Fujiman Try “assoc” and “ftype” commands in a command prompt.

Hello @james. Thanks for suggestions. I have typed both those commands in the Command Prompt but I really don’t understand what to do next.

I have gone Control Panel > Default Programs > Filetype Association (2nd down)
and selected the .raf extension then clicked “Change program…” at the top RH corner.

At this point the “Open With” panel appears and in my case it shows Photoshop as the default application for a RAF file, which is obviously incorrect. Clicking the “+” reveals several other possible applications already known to Windows, but Rawtherapee is not one of them. At bottom RH of the panel is the browse button which opens Explorer enabling you locate and open the correct exe file.

However, as I already mentioned, it doesn’t respond to the RT.exe in my case.
So it seems I can only open a RAF file within RawTherapee but not outside it.

This looks like a problem with your installation; RT has no such compatibility problems with Windows 7, as far as I know, and no icons are missing.

I would uninstall RT, clear the remnants (*) and make sure, that my antivirus isn’t messing with the installation. It does happen here and there with “exotic” programs. This could be enough.

@Fujiman did you use an installer to install RT, or a zip archive? Where did you download it form?

@Fujiman

Run the freeware CCleaner and clean the registry. This happens, when the path to RawTherapee has changed or if you have more than one version of RT installed.

http://filehippo.com/de/download_ccleaner/

Sorry, I was in a rush and reading that you were happy poking around in the registry, hoped these quick hints might have been enough to help you identify the issue.

I don’t think this is an issue with the rawtherapee installer, since i don’t believe it sets itself as a default app for filetypes. I suspect the issue is that the file association is pointing to the location of an old rawtherapee exe in a different folder path.

What does “assoc .raf” and “ftype application/rawtherapee.exe” show?

Or in Control Panel, when choosing program defaults, there should be an option for “other” or similar that eventually should let you manually browse to the rawtherapee executable.

I tried setting my .raf files to Rawtherapee and it modified the following registry keys/values

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.raf]
@="raf_auto_file’

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\raf_auto_file\shell\open\command]
@="“C:\\Program Files\\RawTherapee\\5.1\\rawtherapee.exe” “%1"”

Thanks @jacal.
As you suggested, I uninstalled RT5.1 and all remnants apart from the RT zip file from rawtherapee.com/downloads
Then, after disabling both the internet connection and my AVG antivirus, I reinstalled RT5.1 again.

I then tried again to associate a RAF file with RT5.1 but it failed.
However, good to know the problem is local to my installation and nothing wrong with RT installer. I will keep trying.

@james thanks for your diligence.
Here’s what happens with those commands
assoc .raf shows:
.raf = Photoshop.CameraRawFileFujifilm.9
and
ftype application/rawtherapee.exe shows:
File type ‘application/rawtherapee.exe’ not found or no command associated with it.

To register RawTherapee program against .raf
assoc .raf=rawtherapeefile
ftype rawtherapeefile="%programfiles%\rawtherapee\5.1\rawtherapee.exe" "%1"
Note: You may need to change the path to the rawtherapee executable to match your system.

To undo
assoc .raf=Photoshop.CameraRawFileFujifilm.9
ftype rawtherapeefile=

Then double click a .raf file. RawTherapee should now be one of the options, and you may need to select “always use this program”.

1 Like

And, sorry, just in case, did you extract/unzip the zip file before installation?

Hello Jacal
I downloaded the zip file from rawtherapee.com/downloads to the desktop and extracted and ran the installation file there.

James,

I had no luck with those commands.
However, I went into the registry and found several references to earlier versions of RawTherapee (4.0 and 5.0).
I confess I really hadn’t a clue what I was doing but I deleted all references to RawTherapee in the registry except for those pertaining to Version 5.1
Lo and behold all my RAF files are now associated with RawTherapee 5.1 and the Win 7 OpenWith dialogue now displays it as the preferred application.
So…problem solved. I can now open the RAFs in RT with a double click regardless of where they’re located.

Many thanks

Why didn’t you use CCleaner? This is the simplierst way to remove those obsolete entries. :slight_smile:

That is only true, if he had chosen a different path on each install. I use always the same path and I need to get rid of these entries manually as most of these entries still point to something useful …

@Fujiman No problem, glad you got it sorted.