Uneven little mill shed.

In an attempt to get more familiar with GIMP’s artistic possibilities I tried to create a photo-illustration/drawing alike image. Learned a lot about which images are suitable and GIMP’s native filters, blend modes and layer orders during this edit.

darktable 3.1.0 - Pre-edits and some post-edits,
GIMP 2.10.20 - photo-illustration/graphics/drawing effects.

4 Likes

Very nice composition! I’d have this printed on canvas to enhance the textures.

Thanks!

That’s a good idea for these kind of images, why didn’t I think of that… Not going to use it with this one though, it has too much fine details which makes this borderline usable for the effect I was trying to accomplish.

BTW: Are you aware of any good GIMP related articles about how to remove objects/items and the best tool(s) to use?

There’re a bunch of videos out there but experience learned that a lot aren’t all that good/informative. I did run into Resynthesizer which might be worth looking into…

The tool you choose depends on what you’re trying to remove and what is around that object. The heal brush is a classic choice, but resynthsizer is awesome for replacing objects surrounded by texture. Resythsizee also has a heal selection option that works pretty well.

1 Like

I too like the scene and composition. Speaking of removing items, I’d ditch the metal rail, which takes away from the idyllic vibe a little.

The illustration effect holds up very well at 100%, but the canvas texture, particularly in the sky, looks a little too fake. If it was printed on canvas, or any strongly textured paper, then it wouldn’t need the digital texture applied here.

I’m assuming that you’re talking about the vertical, white remnants of a flagpole on the left and middle. That remnant annoys the bleep out of me. :smile:

It is the reason I asked for some advise on how to go about removing stuff using GIMP. I did do some retouching/removing in darktable on this image. Removed most of the flagpole and a rod that holds the rowing boat chain. But darktable isn’t the tool to use if you need to do larger and/or more complicated removals.

This is what the pre-edited scene looked like without any retouching being done:

I’ve been trying out a mixture of options that GIMP offers and the results/possibilities are promising. As always: One needs to practise when trying new stuff…

BTW: A canvas texture wasn’t my intention when creating this. A photo-illustration/drawing alike image was, which is “fake” no matter what :wink:

Actually I hardly noticed them, so you did a good job. I’m referring to the grey rail the boat is tied to. It looks very industrial compared to everything else in the image. This is just my taste of course - I do not like industrial.

Yes but the canvas texture, especially in the sky, is impossible to miss, and it looks like a computer generated effect, as opposed to real canvas. The illustration effect looks fine.