Updated to V5.4 and lost my edits. Any way to get them back?

I don’t keep the sidecar files next to my images, instead I selected the option “Save Processing Profile to Cache”. So I’m assuming that when I reinstalled V5.4 the cache got cleared / overwritten, unless there’s some way to recover it? I think I’m SOL, but figured I’d ask. I checked where the cache is supposed to be (which is ~/Library/Application Support/RawTherapee/cache/) - but it doesn’t exist. In fact, there is no RawTherapee folder in Application Support. I’m using the Mac version. I read about this issue on Macs in another post here.

Is there anything rawtherapee in the ~/Library/Application Support folder?

Yes, as I mentioned above, there is no mention of RT in that folder.

I also wanted to add that I did see another post on here from a Mac user who didn’t have the RT folder in application support. Maybe that folder is no longer used?

Weird. Works here… wonder where your cache is going over there. Which macOS are you using?

See if there is a RT folder in ~/.config
I found some RT 5.3 folders there.

Search your drive for a folder called aehistograms.

I’m bringing back this thread because I tried all of the above with no luck, but then discovered something very interesting. Not sure if this is a bug, or just the way RT works, but when you set it to not create sidecar files next to RAW files, and you rename the folder in which the RAW images are stored, RT will disassociate the folders from wherever it keeps its sidecar files! The folder name is tied to the sidecar files. Anyway, I renamed the folder back to what it used to be, and magic, everything is back as it was before.

If anyone has an issue like this, there’s your solution. Now I have to keep my folder structure identical to what I had it, otherwise I’ll lose the changes again :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t consider this a bug, I’m sure they store the full path to the image file.

I’d also suggest you create a pp3 next to the raw file.

The path to the photos is not stored anywhere, but it probably is taken into account in the hash so that the correct profile is loaded in the situation where identically-named files exist in different folders:

~/photos/2018-10-01/001.raw
~/photos/2018-10-02/001.raw