Upgrade to 3.0.2

Did an apt-get update then ran this

$ sudo apt-get upgrade darktable
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
darktable is already the newest version (3.0.1-1.1).

I might get kicked out of linux discussions for being dumb but I have done searches on the topic.
My last dumb question 3.0.1 Upgrade Not Working

I have no intention of going back to microsoft windows but the upgrade processes were generally a lot easier.

3.0.2 is just a tag we put on the sourcecode. darktable 3.0.2 is only a set of text files frozen in a certain state.

Then, other peoples need to turn that text code into software by compiling packages and releasing them on your distribution’s repository.

The “problem” you have is the packages are not available yet on your distro repository. We have no control over that, you just need to wait for someone to build the packages.

How did you install darktable in the first place? PPA?

Linux Xubuntu 18.0.4

I don’t think I’ve used PPA. Started with Darktable 2.2 and have done regular upgrades. Upgrade from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 was just a problem with the key.

From your last thread, you’re using @darix’s OBS repo. It just hasn’t been updated yet. I’m sure it will be when @darix finds the time.

I have been using the Ubuntu Handbook PPA. (Actually I have two copies, one generic 3.0.2, and one I compiled myself, but that is not relevant.)

1 Like

I have installed the updated version today (Manjaro Linux, an Arch-based distro). Overall a great experience. This is just after quick edits of three flower images… Thanks to all who are part of this.

I installed 3.0.2 yesterday using a Flatpak and it appears to be working just fine on my system which is based on Ubuntu 19.10.

I believe recent releases of Linux Mint already have Flatpak support built-in, and it’s easily added to Ubuntu (which is what I did). Flatpak support can be added to most Linux distros, instructions are at Flatpak.org.

Yes, I’d prefer to install the latest release of Darktable from my distro’s PPAs, but Flatpak works for me, and it’s easy to install from there.

I just noticed you’re running Xubuntu 18.04. Here’s a link to instructions on how to add Flatpak support to Ubuntu 18.04:
How to install flatpak on Ubuntu

…There are many other articles on adding Flatpak support to Ubuntu. I never used Xubuntu (although I did run Linux Mint XFCE for a number of years), so I don’t know if the Xubuntu vs. Ubuntu difference will trip you up

Cool! I think the flatpak is working quite well now-a-days, since we’re ironed out issues with sandboxing and color management. :smiley: