Using BW Toning in Rawtherapee

Here is a picture of Yellow Cosmos flower that I converted to BW using Rawtherapee. I used Luminance curve and, in the end lightened the flower in GIMP. I will love your comments on my efforts.

3 Likes

This is certainly a different take on the flower shot, you don’t usually see the stem and background quite so dark. The contrast between the white flower and silhouette stem is very interesting!

Have you used any sharpening on this image? I feel like you might be able to bring out a bit more detail in the petals with some wavelet contrast/edge sharpening in Rawtherapee or some sort of sharpening in GIMP.

1 Like

@paperdigits, Thanks for your encouraging comments. I did not dare to apply much of sharpening to this image as it was an ISO1600 image. I have used noise reduction of RT so I just `turned on’ the sharpening module of RT and also microcontrast (that means, just used them at default settings). The stem and leaves became dark because of the luminance curve (I lowered green colour).

I am just discovering RT and my current knowledge is solely based on reading RawPedia book. Being a mathematician, I am loving the theoretical descriptions of various modules that are given in that book.