using digikam/showfoto for noise reduction

Hello,
I’m new on this forum, but not on photo nor digikam.
I make mostly photos on rock gigs at night. You can imagine the conditions: fast moving, mostly low and very variable light.

So, what ever camera I use I have noise. I often have to shoot at very high ISO, namely 12500 or 25600.

To reduce the noise at an acceptable level, the better tool I know is noiseware. But it’s a Windows product. As I use mostly Digikam to manage my photos, I want to achieve a similar result with it.

so go to digikam noise module.

but there I have several point I don’y understand.

What is the use of “estimate noise”? I see absolutely no result.

then three color two parameters:

gate (seuil in french) and softness (douceur in french). What do his mean exactly?

thanks
jdd

Salut, @jdd & Welcome!

Yes, I can imagine your shooting conditions, and believe that you presumably also have tricky white balance problems.

I am absolutely not the right person to advice you, since I have not used digikam/showfoto very much. However, since you have not received a single reply in 4 hours :frowning: I could at least try to give some assistance…

A few questions:

• at ISO12500 and ISO25600, does your camera deliver RAW files or just .jpg?
  • Camera?
  • Linux? Distro?

What is the use of “estimate noise”?

If I remember it correctly, if selected, it estimates(!) what values are suitable for that particular image. You can see the suggested values in the middle of the sliders.

Threshold = The value below which everything is considered noise.

Softness = The amount of noise still left in the image.

Cordialement,

Claes en Lund, La Suède

I haven’t used the tool myself but maybe this will help:

https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/extragear-graphics/digikam/photographic-editing.html#editor-enhance-tools

Scroll down to “Noise reduction” section

I have both jpg and raw files (I have many cameras, at the moment canon eos 5dmkiii, nikon d7000, panasonic gx80).
I use openSUSE leao 42.3 but, digikam appimage (5.7 only, not yet tested v6).

estimate works but then as lon as it’s ticked, the sliders are blurred and inactive

thanks
jdd

thanks. I saved this page for future use. I didn’t have time to read all :frowning: and specifically do not see what version of digikam is studied, because I dond’t see where I can set all these parameters, I have no “advanced” option in my digikam 5.7
thanks