voronoi: does it work?

I have Win10 and no problems with the ï in Voronoï. BTW, Hanoi Tower can be found under the Games & Demos filter. There is a problem with it however; I can’t interact with it in the plugin. Any click makes the preview show the input image.

PS How about anything with David Tschumperlé’s name?

Just a question: is there any important reason to use that special i in Voronoï instead of the normal i?
If not (but this is a question only for David) could Voronoï in the next releases of G’mic be replaced by the simple Voronoi?
Special characters could create problems in some environments

As I already mentioned, " ï " as source of errors is interesting. However the spelling of names is IMHO a question of respect, Voronoï as a russian mathematician and Hanoï as well.

By the way, there are for the " ï " at least three different spellings in update295.gmic: " ï ", “\357” and ï. Perhaps this is a bit difficult for Gimp?

I see your point, but IMHO the respect of the nationality is possible also interpreting the pronunciation; I don’t know how in Russian is read that character, but to understand my point let me imagine that it is pronounced as a “long” i, in this case the name could be written also Voronoii.

In any case, the G’MIC-Qt plug-in has been done to support UTF-8 characters, so if it works as expected, I don’t see any reasons not to use it.
If it doesn’t work, then there is probably a bug, and it should be fixed.
If you think you can reproduce the bug, just let us know with a detailed bug report, and we will try to fix it ASAP.

Actually :face_with_monocle: sleuthing on Wikipedia for a minute reveals that the ï comes from the French spellings. In English, it is Voronoi by Voronoy:

Georgy Feodosevich Voronoy (Ukrainian: Гео́ргій Феодо́сійович Вороний; 28 April 1868 – 20 November 1908) was a Ukrainian mathematician noted for defining the Voronoi diagram.

Hanoi is a place:

Hanoi (UK: /(ˌ)hæ-, həˈnɔɪ/ ha-, hə-NOY or US: /hɑː-/ hah-NOY; Vietnamese: Hà Nội [hàː nôjˀ] (About this soundlisten)) is the capital city of Vietnam.

But…

The puzzle was invented by the French mathematician Édouard Lucas in 1883.

So he could have named it with an ï.

Thanks David.
I can reproduce the problem, but nobody else could as it appears from the mails exchange.
In any case I tell you the simple sequence to double-check:
1-download the last Samj’s release
2-unzip
3-launch the exe (GIMP_EN.exe)
4-open any image you want
5-go to G’mic Voronoi (the preview always works)
6-press OK
But I suspect you do not get the error, because something similar has been done by a Gimpchat collegue and it worked perfectly.
Hence there is likely a problem in my environment which does not accept that special character.

Oh, when I said

I didn’t use @samj’s package nor did I commit the filter with apply or ok… BTW, why aren’t you using the official release? Give it a try to see if it is stabler for you. Is your GIMP up to date and official as well?

Yes, Windows is up to date.
Tried also using Partha’s package and got the same errors.
It’s already years that I use Samj’s versions, and abandoned for myself the official one.

I like self-contained-packages, without any impact on Windows Registry, and easy to find any components.

@dinasset, I’ve noticed that when applying Voronoi on an image, there was an additional layer added that was not expected. I’ve made a fix, and the updated filter should appear in a few minutes (maybe 30). Could you test and tell me if it continues to break ?

Thans, of course

I didn’t receive any info about the possible update of the filter.
Nevertheless, just to close my working day, I did a refresh of G’mic filters and retried the voronoi filter. I got these errors:
GIMP Error
Calling error for procedure ‘gimp-layer-set-offsets’:
Procedure ‘gimp-layer-set-offsets’ has been called with an invalid ID for argument ‘layer’. Most likely a plug-in is trying to work on a layer that doesn’t exist any longer.
GIMP Error
Calling error for procedure ‘gimp-item-set-name’:
Procedure ‘gimp-item-set-name’ has been called with value ‘-1’ for argument ‘item’ (#1, type GimpItemID). This value is out of range.
GIMP Error
Calling error for procedure ‘gimp-image-insert-layer’:
Procedure ‘gimp-image-insert-layer’ has been called with an invalid ID for argument ‘layer’. Most likely a plug-in is trying to work on a layer that doesn’t exist any longer.
GIMP Error
Calling error for procedure ‘gimp-drawable-width’:
Procedure ‘gimp-drawable-width’ has been called with an invalid ID for argument ‘drawable’. Most likely a plug-in is trying to work on a layer that doesn’t exist any longer.
GIMP Error
Calling error for procedure ‘gimp-drawable-height’:
Procedure ‘gimp-drawable-height’ has been called with an invalid ID for argument ‘drawable’. Most likely a plug-in is trying to work on a layer that doesn’t exist any longer.
GIMP Error
Calling error for procedure ‘gimp-drawable-bpp’:
Procedure ‘gimp-drawable-bpp’ has been called with an invalid ID for argument ‘drawable’. Most likely a plug-in is trying to work on a layer that doesn’t exist any longer.
GIMP Error
Calling error for procedure ‘gimp-drawable-merge-shadow’:
Procedure ‘gimp-drawable-merge-shadow’ has been called with an invalid ID for argument ‘drawable’. Most likely a plug-in is trying to work on a layer that doesn’t exist any longer.
GIMP Error
Calling error for procedure ‘gimp-drawable-update’:
Procedure ‘gimp-drawable-update’ has been called with an invalid ID for argument ‘drawable’. Most likely a plug-in is trying to work on a layer that doesn’t exist any longer.

I will see tomorrow.

@David_Tschumperle

Bonjour,
By replacing the ï (I-umlaut) by i there are no more errors in Gimp.
:o)

Does it happen because you’ve selected ‘Verbose Mode → Verbose (layer name)’ ?

@David_Tschumperle

Yes it is only with this mode that the problem exists : ‘Verbose Mode → Verbose (layer name)’ .

:o)

I don’t use the installers but the zip files that are self-contained when decompressed. You just need to be aware of where to place the G’MIC files and access the executables. As for the registry, it depends on the apps in question and not whether an installer is used. An installer does make more registries though.

Windows Code Page 1252 :cry:s

Thanks for confirming what I noticed, Sylvie.
The cause is the i with the umlaut on top.