Webhosting, with letsencrypt

Hi!

I need to look for a new webhost for my (static) personal website, which includes my project Rapid Photo Downloader. I’ve been using DreamHost for the past 4 years but their price to me is set to rise dramatically to $214.80 for two years, so I’m looking at alternatives. Do folks around here have suggestions for a webhost that provides seamless letsencrypt integration?

I found a list of providers here: Let’s Encrypt Supported “Free SSL” Shared Hosting List

The only one of them that I’m familiar with on that list is SiteGround, who I used some years ago now.

Thanks in advance.

Right now I’m running my static sites on digital ocean, which offers a $5/mo VM. Vultr can get as cheap as $2.50/mo.

Possibly we could pull you onto the Stable Host site that currently hosts the pixls site, but I’ll defer to @patdavid on that.

2 Likes

Yes, I’d be happy to host on the stablehost web server we’re using for pixls.us (main site).

What would you need to host, just rsync access to a dir? Are you using a CI server to build things by chance?

If the traffic isn’t much we could also consider hosting on the discuss server, but I’ll want to ask @darix first.

1 Like

Hey thanks very much guys, it’s very kind of you. I actually got myself a Digital Ocean $5 a month instance recently so I could experiment with the VPN setup suggested by Jim Salter / Ars Technica. I just assumed needing to keep on top of keeping the bad guys out of the VM would mean using it for something serious like a web server would be a PITA. It’s been almost 15 years since I had to configure Apache. But maybe I should give it a go and see how it works out. If it proves stable and doesn’t suck up a lot of time then perhaps it will be fine.

I’d be happy to share my nginx config that works with the let’s encrypt client.

@paperdigits do you advise the use of nginx over Apache? It makes little difference to me as at this point, given how much time has passed since I was messing around with apache :wink: I see there are Digital Ocean tutorials for using lets encrypt with both servers.

I think they’ll both work perfectly well.

Apache has the advantage of having automatic config with certbot, a very popular and easy let’s encrypt client.

Nginx has the advantage of being lighter and has a much easier config file syntax. Certbot integrates pretty easily.

I run a forum from a DO droplet with Ubuntu 16.04 Server. Installing LetsEncrypt was a breeze.

I’m running on digital ocean as well. The performance is not amazing but nginx is pretty efficient so I can still handle ~100’000 visitors/month on a 5 $ droplet.

Regarding security, if you just run a webserver like nginx it’s a fairly small attack surface. Configure unattended security upgrades, disable any (external) services you don’t need like email, choose a strong password and you are reasonably safe.

If you want to host something like wordpress, that’s a very different story of course.

Thanks everyone. My two sites are up and running on Digital Ocean using nginx. The Qualsys SSL test gives the sites an A, which I’m happy with.

And btw @patdavid to answer your question I’m still rocking along with the by now ancient Quanta Plus(!) While it doesn’t know about scp and friends, it has a nice uploader nonetheless. So I use Quanta Plus in a VM in combination with sshfs on my desktop OS to mount the remote server locally. A little convoluted, but it works.

2 Likes

From your local pixls.us admin … hosting a static files page is so low resource that you can probably run it on a rpi. so i wouldn’t worry about that. I can second using nginx over apache in such setups.

For lets encrypt i am using dehydrated. A simple shell script based client, which has cron support. and hook scripts to deploy the new certs.