What are you doing this weekend?

Hello,

What I like most about Lobste.rs is their weekly What are you doing this weekend? threads, where people share things they plan to work on over the coming weekend. This not only gives inspiration, but also creates a sense of community. How about doing something like this here at PIXLS.US? I, for one, would be interested what photography-related projects you plan to work on. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Dmitri

1 Like

This sounds cool! But its Monday, Garfield :sob:

The way I see it, we are one day closer to the weekend. :grinning:

1 Like

An optimist, excellent.

This weeks photo project for me is changing the OS of my editing station from Debian old stable to NixOS, then tuning the new install, calibrating my monitors, and getting my printer going again, perhaps using turbo print instead of a 12 year old iMac.

2 Likes

If the weather stays as expected for tomorrow afternoon/night, I may go out and get an image of C/2020 F3 Neowise before the clouds come back…

1 Like

I have no plans for the weekend yet, but I’d like to finish a couple of photography-related articles during the week. One of the articles is actually for PIXLS.US. :grinning:

@paperdigits NixOS? I hear the name of the distro quite often these days. Why did you choose NixOS?

1 Like
  • good zfs support (my photos are stored on a 2 disk zfs mirror)
  • easy to update/build my own packages, even if they’re out of tree
  • declarative config
  • built in system roll backs
1 Like

There are lots of things to do, fortunately, at the moment. Usually I work onand around the weekend. So I might read or write a summary of a book about the history of landscape painting. If I get feedback by the end if this week, I might also continue working on an article about editing landscape shots. Or I might make a hike and take landscape shots (depending on the weather). And of course there are still lots of undeveloped photos… I might also test a new lens, or do more tests with the focus stacking feature of my new camera… the best opportunity for the latter would be a shooting at the local butterfly house but we have 35 degrees celsius and inside the conservatory there are probably 50 degrees celsius and 90% humidity, so it’s better to do that in autumn or spring. But actually I could look for some butterflies at the Wienerberg, too. Depending on the weather, I could also go to a birds of prey show to test my camera’s autofocus… but that’s unlikely, too, because of the weather. Well and I should definitely find some time to comfort a photographer friend of mine who had a lot of bad luck lately.
I like it when I am not bored.

3 Likes

Unfortunate outcome: weather was perfect, nice location 5 min from home. I setup everything, planned ahead, took a couple of pictures and… nothing. The comet was only 5-10 degrees above the horizon less than an hour after sunset, so I couldn’t get anything more than a green dot, the tail was swamped by the skylight.

Next time!

Won’t it be thousands of years until neowise is back? :wink:

Yes, but I plan to keep my 5DmkII in good conditions until then :joy:

3 Likes