What OS are you running?

I thinknMint will give you their “xapps” suite regardless of which desktop environment you have.

1 Like

Settled with Mint Mate 19 now. Reinstalled / refreshed the Firefox plugins as that seemed to be causing the slowdown :slight_smile: Now I’ve chucked all my other distro dvds in the bin :wink:

Glad you are settling. I had a phase when I changed my OS almost every week. It was like an addiction and lasted several years! :cry::blush:

3 Likes

Now Mint 19 Xfce.
Nice and light and fast! :slight_smile:

What did you end up with?

It is no secret that I use Windows 10, from many of my posts and this poll, and I am always grumbling about it. People here ask me WHY? Generally, I use apps that can’t be run on a compatibility layer and dual booting is a pain. If I were to use Linux, it would be in a virtual machine; however, it would be clunky and annoying to maintain, esp. with a system as limited (processor, RAM and storage) as mine.

PS I do have a few VMs hanging out in my spare disconnected disks. If I were to run one today, it would be Linux Mint Xfce. I also install and maintain Linux Mint on my parents’ and friends’ computers. I find that it is sensible for beginners. I used to use Ubuntu most often but I could not appreciate the desktop redesign among other changes.

2 Likes

I used to be obsessed trying new distros and the super lightweight ones especially. Now I just want something that looks nice and “just works”. Pop OS is my daily OS on my laptop. Latest Ubuntu but with extra tools and polish on top.

1 Like

Kubuntu 19.10 installed today!

1 Like

And replaced today with good old Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition! :nerd_face:

1 Like

LOL well I actually have Fedora on the SSD now. For how long?

Distro-hopping within Ubuntu(-based) distros? Aren’t they more similar than different? I have Fedora since 1 day now and I know that it won’t stay long: Nvidia Prime works, Intel Neo works too, but there is no sound when using tiling window managers. I have googled carefully for a solution and I am really bored by Debian, so I was actually ready to stay with Fedora, at least for a while.

1 Like

lol, I’m still not happy with Mint Cinnamon. As you say, @betazoid Ubuntu-based distros are more similar than different.

So I think I’m going to go with Manjaro. A bit more care required with updates, but at least it’ll be an easy way to get up to date versions of photo editing software, without relying on PPAs. :smiley:

I have done partition images of my Mint install though, just in case!

1 Like

Lol.
Manjaro KDE installed yesterday. Straightforward installation. Darktable etc 3.0.0 installed using pacman.
Big fly on the ointment is continual heavy disk access. Is it due to KDE? Manjaro?
Hmmm so what to do know… Spend days / weeks trying to diagnose the issue? Or try a different distro? :nauseated_face:

Brian - do you have SSDs or what?
Amount of RAM?
Have you set up a swap partition? Size of it?
Check the swappability setting.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Actually I have no problems of this kind with Manjaro. Everything works. It’s just that I don’t like the artwork, themes, backgrounds etc.
I suppose you have googled the issue.

1 Like

Well I just solved the Fedora sound problem. I think I’ll stay with Fedora for now. Maybe you can give Fedora a try as well?

1 Like

Since you have KDE, the process manager (ksysguard) can display the I/O rates of the processes. On a new install it is possible that this is the file indexing at work, and it may cool off after a while.

1 Like

Not sure what packages Manjaro KDE comes with installed by default but I remember disabling KMail, Baloo and Akonadi has made my openSUSE KDE lighting speed faster on an older laptop. I am guessing Baloo is indexing files on your machine and that is what is causing your hard drive to work hard right now.

1 Like

120gb ssd where root partition is. /home is on 1tb mechanical drive. 16gb ram, with 8gb swap partition on the ssd.

@betazoid i did try googling, only to end up finding posts from 2010 which didn’t resolve the issue…

edit to add that after using iotop, it’s some process called mandb which is chugging away using 36% cpu load, as well as Process 50 - kworker/u8:1-events_freezable_power_ Whatever those are?!

I believe it would be wise to have the swap partition on the mech drive instead.
In case you really need a swap partition, that is! Quote from the link belov:

It is highly likely that you will never use the swap space on a machine with 8 gigabytes of RAM or more, unless you do some serious number crunching or video editing.

Also read about what swappiness factor that is recommended for an SSD,
as well as for a mech drive.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like