What to look for in a 27" monitor?

After plugging my notebook to a 27" screen I decided I need one too! (using 23" now on a desktop and 14" on a notebook).

I don’t really want to spend the money on a costly REAL image editing monitor. Something cheap is preferred. I do have a Spyder calibration thing.

I don’t do gaming (other than Sudoku). One requirement are modern inputs. Single oder double HDMI, optional DVI and future safe Displayport.

My 23" is a BenQ, it doesn’t get much cheaper, but generally it works good for me.

What do I need to look for? Or just go with the cheapest?

What are the qualitative and quantitative specs of your current monitor? What would you like besides what you already have? Apply that criteria to your prospective mon. From past conversations, I think you have enough knowledge to make a good decision, but I guess more feedback is always good.

The one thing that I would investigate is HW and SW compatibility and how much it takes to run a larger and higher res monitor. This is often hard to figure out if you don’t have it physically in front of you to plug in and use. Along these lines, perhaps it might be smart to use an older but proven monitor, where there is a lot of documentation and forum discussion on it. Safer that way.

You need 100% sRGB coverage or more.

Problem is that knowledge covers only the thing you know. Hence it’s sometimes good ask what other people know. My notebook has probably some hardware limitations. It works good on a normal 27" (tested), but I doubt it can do 4K. Just a bit more working area will be nice (darktable on the 14" is not that good).

Good to know. While I surfed a bit I think an Asus ProArt has some better than average color space and is quite affordable ($299 I saw online).

It is $475CAD for my reference.

It says you can switch between colour modes. I wonder what the native colour space is.