What's wrong with darktable (or me)? [solved]

printing

#1

Here are three scenarios:

  1. Start darktable 2.4.4.
    In lighttable, select image test.raf.
    Click darkroom, image opens fine.
    Click other|print.
    No image shown, just a blank area and the values shown are really off:
    Image width/height -2147483549,00…
    Close darktable.

  2. In the file browser, right-click test.raf.
    Select Open with darktable.
    The image opens in darkroom.
    Click other|print.
    Image opens fine in the print module, having correct data: Image width/height 113,00 x 75,00.
    Close darktable.

  3. Start The Gimp.
    File|Open test.raf.
    The Gimp sends image to darktable for development.
    The image opens in darkroom.
    Click other|print.
    Image opens fine in the print module, having correct data: Image width/height 113,00 x 75,00.

So, what have I missed? To me, it looks like lighttable does not open an image correctly, while if an image is sent to darktable (from the file browser or from The Gimp), the print module is fed correct data.

Setup
Linux Mint 19 Tara, Cinnamon flavour ('buntu Bionic)
darktable 2.4.4 pmjdebruijn ppa
GIMP_AppImage-git-2.10.7-withplugins-20180913-x86_64

Who might be able to shed a light on the problem? @houz? @LebedevRI?

Sincerely,
Claes in Lund, Sweden


(Tobias) #2

I think you should add an example image.


#3

Moin, Tobias!

It seems as if the problem exists for many kinds of image files.
Like this one, just fetched from pixls’ archives:
https://raw.pixls.us/getfile.php/131/nice/Canon%20-%20EOS%207D%20-%20RAW%20(3:2).CR2

MfG
Claes in Lund, Schweden


(Pascal Obry) #4

No problem on my side (using dev version) with the test image you pointed. But I remember that some display issues have been fixed in the development version. So maybe all this will be ok when 2.6 is released.


#5

With the sample image you posted, following these steps works without issue for me in Darktable 2.4.4.

Of course, there are about 1000 things that could be different between our environments but I wanted to share the data point.


#6

@Pascal_Obry and @dalto
Thank you very much for testing
[even if it is quite depressing if I am
the only one with this problem :frowning: ].

Sincerely,
Claes in Lund, Sweden


(David LaCivita) #7

I can’t remember how to reproduce it but I’ve had this same problem in the past. When Print worked properly I set up a preset for Print Settings for my most commonly used settings. When Print got all messed up I simply selected the preset and everything behaved properly.


#8

The problem is “solved”.
Well, at least I have managed to wiggle around the problem, by compiling dt myself, using the 2.5.0 master branch.

Now it works just fine :slight_smile:

I have a weak hunch that it might have been the CUPS/dt interaction that was not correct in 2.4.4. Perhaps…

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden