Where are the most photogenic landscapes?

Ah - another question: has anybody been to the Eifel/Luxemburg region (Müllerthal etc.)?

Abends, Anna,

But were not much of their success to a great degree
coupled to their ability to handle chiaroscuro?

MfG
Claes in Lund, Schweden

3 Likes

I think the Eifel is not optimal without a car. I don’t know about the Müllerthal but the Sächsische Schweiz looks similar and is very good reachable without a car and you can easily go to different locations by train and hiking.

1 Like

@betazoid Anna, Atlantic drive in Ireland is great. Though without a car it’s difficult. Maybe hike on dingle peninsula

2 Likes

Afaik the chiaroscuro is important with the Utrecht Caravaggist but they painted people and not landscapes. Well and of course Rembrandt, who did not paint/draw so many landscapes either. Dramatic light is usually for pictures that remind of theatre (with people). But Iam not sure if that’s what you mean.

Concerning public transportation I want to make clear: public transportation does not need to be very good for me, it just needs to exist. I have no problem if there is no bus/train every hour or if I need to call a taxi for the last 10 kms.

@betazoid Mullerthal is a beautiful small region, i visited by motobike. There are some rocks and bridges, good for a one day visit. Considering Eifel, i suggest a tour around Mosel, and a bit more wider a trip along the Rhine can give you great possibilities for taking pictures (especialliy during autumn).
My personal favorites for landscape-photography have been ireland and scotland… but all by car.

2 Likes

:+1:

A friend of mine suggested South America, especially Chile.

@betazoid Anna, another very beautiful region is the spanish atlantic coast. Also, because of the way of St. James is along this coast, you should be able to hike there easily and also find accomodations.

1 Like

I’ve been keeping a list of locations I would like to visit, some pretty specific and others not narrowed down yet. I’ll probably add more locations faster than I get to visit what’s already on the list. I won’t have either the time or the money to get to all of them, but it’s nice to have choice!

For now, I’ve been sticking pretty close to home and only hitting locations within a two hour drive.

In my own country (Canada):

• Newfoundland (particularly Gros Morne National Park)
  • Vancouver Island
  • The Rocky Mountains (Kannanaskis Country, Peter Lougheed range)
  • The Yukon (Kluane National Park)
  • Northern Ontario
  • The Niagara Escarpment

Elsewhere in the Americas:

• The Grand Canyon (Pete McBride style, not tourist style)
  • South Dakota badlands
  • Death Valley
  • Dominica
  • Patagonia
  • Yosemite
  • Costa Rica

The rest of the world:

• New Zealand
  • Isle of Skye
  • Orkney Islands
  • Glencoe
  • Iceland
  • Faroe Islands (but only if the grindadráp is discontinued)
  • Islay (this one might not be about the photography :wink: )
  • Alpine regions of Europe
  • Dolomites
  • Madagascar

Something to bear in mind for anywhere distant is whether the pandemic will affect your travel plans. Here in North America, thousands of flights are being cancelled due to a shortage of pilots and flight attendants. It might be good to build some slack into your schedule so you are able to handle delays.

2 Likes

Well pretty much everywhere…its paradise…the fires have been causing some major damage over the last few years…

Without a car or SUV in Canada you will be severely limited…

Many people rent a camper and drive up the west coast shooting as they go…

To give you some perspective on distances…I live near Toronto…to get to the next province in the west I would have to drive about 24 hours straight….so basically I can drive all through the US and arrive in Florida in about the same time as it takes to get to the next western province…

Landscape Photography in British Columbia - Best Photo Spots (lukas-petereit.com)

37 million people in this space….

3 Likes

Maybe a guided tour through Ireland, where you’ll have access to wind swept ocean shores, rugged streams and beautiful green hills. September and October are usually good in terms of weather

1 Like

I’ve done the Toronto to Winnipeg drive many times. The part over Lake Superior is beautiful.

Good link to locations in BC. Thanks!

1 Like

Both Argentina and Chile would be great destinations for landscape photography. I would recommend northern Chile and NE Argentina if you want high altitude, dry landscapes. And south of Chile and Ushuaia in Argentina for humid cold forests, mountains and the southern ocean.

In both (four) cases they’re usual backpackers’ destinations, so you’ll always find some kind of transportation (although it may need some pre-planning). Time of year is important though: you don’t want to be in the north in summer (melting hot) or in the south in winter (freezing cold).

3 Likes

I know that going around solo is no problem for you (you already made it clear in another thread), and I wouldn’t in a millon years suggest that a woman shouldn’t travel alone, but: please do some research into your possible destinations about womens safety, specially if you intend to go hiking alone. Unfortunately European standards on this matter are not extensive to the whole world.

1 Like

These are my thoughts. I let the words flow as they would. Brain still on vacation. Ha ha. If you have any questions or are confused about anything, let me know.

Firstly, I think everywhere and everyone can be beautiful in their own time if you stop to take a breath and take in your surroundings. It is the state of mind and presence. That is the power of experience and the camera. Even real life or fictional villains can have tender moments.

I come from Toronto and don’t move around much. I am a City person through and through. When I attended university, I met real deal outdoors folk who could live in the wilderness if they chose to do so. And many have at some point of their lives. I went camping and portaging with some of them. I also had field courses where I got to visit many Southern Ontario (Canada) locations and peoples, including indigenous (p)reserves. There are so many hidden gems in Canada, being so large. Urban or suburban folk like me live all of our lives in our own enclaves and never realize there is so much out there that we won’t be able to explore all of it in our lifetimes. We tend to sprawl and destroy what is left of the beauty around us. Southern Ontario is filling up with steel, concrete and asphalt. There is no end to greed and poor planning (well, not poor exactly; definitely, misguided). Sad but true.

Anyway, in Ontario, Bruce Trail (and trails that sprout from it) and Algonquin Park would be a good start. You may need to have some outdoor skill in reaching many of the areas but there are lots of accessible locations too. Many good trails in Ontario, BC and Alberta to explore. For BC and Alberta, just look up scenic tourist tours. The Chinese ones are notoriously quick and to the point to get all the sights. 5 minutes per stop or something like that. Look at their itineraries, add a month or three and you are set to a wonderful adventure. Just don’t be in so much awe that you forget your camera gear. It happened to my dad, twice!

One thing to note about Canada that I really appreciate is that we have all 4 seasons and in each season a variety of weather (and annoying bugs). Maybe climate change is mucking things up but it gives you lots of different perspectives throughout the year. In more touristy areas, the businesses and people demographics change too, depending on who visits them and what they are up to.

Someone here brought up safety. Outdoor and travel safety is very important especially when travelling abroad. No matter how outdoorsy and much of a super adventurer you are you probably need to spend more hours on doing local research than actually going out there. This isn’t Lord of the Rings fiction where you trek the great unknown impromptu. I noted some of that on your other thread. You also hear stories of locals drowning or being swept under by tides. Being a local doesn’t mean that one is immune to danger. It isn’t just about being a lone (or some said, woman) traveller. Conditions change rapidly. Sometimes unpredictable things or tragedy happen. It is how you deal with the situations that don’t kill you instantly. What do you do? How do you survive? How do you look for help? You need to prepare.

PS I forgot to mention geocaching. It is fun to go to where people mark on the map.

2 Likes

I agree with you, but locations you (and people) have mentioned and your portfolio reminds me of landscape paintings from 18th and 19th centuries rather than those from the Dutch Golden Age. Seems like you have romanticist longing for wildness, distant lands, and, in their words, “picturesque” landscapes?

Photographers often refer to 17th century Dutch paintings but IMHO cultures of 18th and 19th centuries are waaaaay more significant for their and (especially european) people’s imagination and taste in landscape. Agrigento which I mentioned above is a good example. An ancient ruins in Italy was a favorite subject of romanticists.

Some books on art history came to my mind, among which are Jacek Woźniakowski’s Die Wildnis and Barbara Maria Stafford’s Voyage into Substance, if you have an interest.

3 Likes

I’ll come with a simpler suggestion :slight_smile: The landscapes in the south of Sweden with the beautiful yellow rape-seed fields in the spring/early summer! And the coastal area around Gothenburg is also very beautiful, with all the small islands.

1 Like

Moinchen, @betazoid!

Of course you are right — but it was this type of landscape painting that popped up in my mind:

MfG
Claes in Lund, Schweden

PS: It also makes me think about some of Boris Hajdukovich’s dt tutorials :slight_smile:

3 Likes