Which Linux distro?

Wish I could say the same.

In fact, yesterday I just filled this:

I believe you. I didn’t say that Gimp is fast or faster than PS. In theory it has some GPU acceleration, I think more than PS.

1 Like

I totally agree with you on that, @XavAL. Personally I just want an easy to use distro so that I can use my system to do what I want it to do. I’d rather not spend more time than necessary doing system administration / updates, especially on a rolling release distro. I have been tempted by other distros (particularly Manjaro), but I always come home to Linux Mint Cinnamon. :grinning:

At least that’s the benefit of the Linux world, plenty of choice of distros to match everyone’s needs :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use Debian. Sid or testing for laptops/workstation stable or oldstable on servers.

Minimal install, custom grey Fluxbox on workstation DWM on laptop. Rox filer, st terminals, xicc, that mount daemon, notmuch mail, astroid mail. Havent changed the base system and main apps for a long time. Just a platform for getting stuff done. Hence the minimal setup, less to break.

Of course distros are for certain types :wink:

• Fedora is for startups and Fedora wearing right libertarians.
  • Debian is for egalitarian extremists.
  • Ubuntu is for normal people
  • Arch is for wannabe nerds who like to tinker

Etc. Etc.

Am I wrong? :wink:

4 Likes

Isn’t the whole open source movement somehow associated with the greens (at least in Europe)?

Not that I am aware of, definitely not in Switzerland (unless you are going for a stretch, where greens may be associated with youth which again may be associated with tech savviness and non-techy people tend to no even know what open source is).

In any case apart from the idle fun that stereotypes can provide, why would you want to associate distros with cultural/political/biological “categorisatin/alignments”? I see no point in that and in addition such alignments are of questionable value in the first place (relevant xkcd: xkcd: Alignment Chart Alignment Chart, recently posted for different reasons on pixls "Chaotic neutral").

2 Likes

I started to get serious about Linux when Microsoft introduced its “Genuine Advantage” stuff. Windows told me that the new update would now check if I had a legal copy of the operating system. I had bought Windows myself through the institute and I was getting more and more annoyed by the patronizing of MS.
Since about 2007 my main systems at work and at home are Linux. First a few years Ubuntu and then, when the " perpetual" upgrading got on my nerves, Archlinux.

It can be worse. I wrote my diploma (master) thesis and my doctoral thesis on MS-DOS.

1 Like

The various green parties have quite different “niche” in different countries. In the UK as well as Sweden they are quite small and are rightly or wrongly associated with a different set of politics than say the german greens. “Tories with bikes” etc.

@rasimon we’re only doing it as idle fun. Hopefully it’s obvious that it’s not serious. As far as stereotyping goes I’m quite comfortable joking about distro types, It’s really quite harmless. I’m saying that as a self identified “egalitarian extremist” :wink: see above.

Debian is what I’m using since 2008, because I needed to switch to a less time consuming distro from Gentoo.

With SuSE 8.0 which was released in 2002 I started. Mandrake also was on my disk in the beginning. In ?2005 I discovered Gentoo. It took 7 days for compilation on a PC with an AMD K7 thunderbird. Bringing my 32-bit Gentoo to my laptop was a funny task just using tar and a few other commands. Gentoo felt way faster than WinXP on that laptop.

Around 2006 I move to the 64-bit version of Gentoo with a new PC. 64-bit worked fine while other world was still on 32-bit. Before I used dualboot on the PC, but since the appreance of virtualization I didn’t made any native Windows installation on my PCs anymore. Crosscompilation with distcc helped me to get Gentoo in resonable time maintained on a laptop from 2003.

In general Gentoo felt very snappy on the desktop. This is something I still miss in Debian today - snappiness in X. But this comes at cost of time for compiling and updating config files. Sometimes 30 or more config files needed some care. Time constraints made me watch out for alternatives in 2008. Ubuntu was quite popular at that time already, but it was to much preconfigured for me and Gnome centric. I was used to KDE. I ended up on Debian.

Today I’m happy running Debian on:

• my home workstations
  • an old laptop at home
  • on vServer for nextcloud & piwigo
  • as backup server at work
  • as little helper for automatic weather data processing at work and other tasks like VM backups
  • on Raspberry PI/zero as dataloggers - okay there it is Raspbian
  • and on other PCs for family use

Yesterday, I setup a Intel NUC 7 for my family as a replacement of on old PC (which was on Debian of course). If you grap the unofficial ISO with non-free firmware the installation works more or less frictionless. I still needed to load some additional non-free firmware.

Thanks for pointing this out. I still miss Gentoo and use Debian. Associations?

1 Like

I guess Linux users are more likely to be “floaters” than voters

Wow, I just looked up floater: has many definitions and not all of them are there. In any case, while not always true, I do hope the Linux world is more about coming together, setting aside our differences and collaborating on things. Sure, there is a time and place to differentiate but I don’t quite understand the motivation here, unless I am missing something vital.

One point that may be relevant to our discussion is one that I was sort of hinting at earlier. We can compare and contrast distros but at the end of the day the system is our own. I might start with Linux Mint but it becomes much more once I am done customizing it and making what is essentially my own distro.

3 Likes

MS-DOS, Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP.
I saw a Linux distro for the first time in 2003. I installed my first distro in 2007 or 2008. It was Ubuntu (I think it was ver. 7.04) I then migrated to Mint and have been on it for few years. After that I have been on Windows 7 and then on Windows 10 (which I still have on my work laptop). I installed openSUSE Tumbleweed in 2016 and had it for a couple of years until I got overwhelmed by constant updates. I find openSUSE is slow and kind of clunky. I tried minimal Debian with KDE but it required too much (for me) manual tweaking. I switched to KDE Neon in 2018 and I am still there. I really like up to date KDE desktop and apps like kdenlive, digiKam, okular, kate, dolphin, GWenView, etc. The system seems to be very stable too. Minor bugs pop up occasionally here and there but I am okay with that. I think I like Cinnamon desktop more though but I prefer KDE apps over Cinnamon’s.

I use Windows on my main machine and Sabayon on my laptop.

1 Like

Because it’s there :person_climbing:

Just a couple of minutes before turning off the laptop to do a hdd swap and take the opportunity to go from Ubuntu to MX Linux.

I got myself a boxed copy of SuSe in 1998 or so. I was running a custom shell on windows, but wanted to mod the look and feel without stardock’s software. Got some version of KDE running, then started to try and compile the ATI driver… Ugh.

1 Like

Heh – I also bought SuSE in a box with several thick manuals and CDs, in 2000. It didn’t last more than a couple of months on my machine, it was too buggy. I switched to Linux From Scratch, and then to Arch in 2006 or so, which compared to LFS is a low-maintenance distro.

Of course each one has its unique approach and bent[1], but that doesn’t mean that a particular distro is exclusionary. I tend to be attracted to ones with thriving communities.

[1] E.g., antiX includes browser bookmarks representing a certain persuasion. The guy in the video on the homepage of the distro’s website says if you don’t like them just delete them, and that he honestly never visited them himself.

1 Like

I’m just about to finish installing it (restoring personal files, since I had to change the hdd).

So far, I installed darktable from the opensuse repo and it’s running ok, except for a glitch regarding its window size: maximizing it makes it go beyond the screen boundaries, although by not so many pixels. When I have the time, I’ll try to figure out what’s happening.

It seems to be lighter than Ubuntu Gnome, and with this new hdd, it feels more snappy.

I’m starting also to feel some cursor jumps. If this persists, I think I’ll get back to ubuntu, which seems to be more Dell friendly. I don’t have the patience nor time anymore to try tweaking the keyboard drive. But this may not happen on other hardware.

Just a couple of sparse notes.

EDIT:

It seems to darktable (3.1.0-git323). If I reduce the left panel width, I can resize the window to fit the screen, than just maximize it.

The reason I mentioned antiX is MX contain elements of the latter. You might want to give it a go for the sake of completion. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone remember Slackware? That’s where I started…

I’ve compiled kernels, munged device drivers, buildrooted RPi images, and all that just taught me that simple and supported is what I want for my desktop computer where I do imaging software.

Ubuntu 19.10.

1 Like