Why are thumbnails not updated?

Hello,

the thumbnails are not updated when a new image is added to the folder being displayed. I have checked the settings but could not find anything related to that. Am I missing something?

I display only the TIF images. Could it be that the large number of jpgs in this folder (>1000) is slowing down the process?

Hermann-Josef

Version: 5.8
Branch: releases
Commit: 9a9e0acbf
Commit date: 2020-02-04
Compiler: x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc\ 8.2.0
Processor: generic x86
System: Windows
Bit depth: 64 bits
Gtkmm: V3.24.2
Lensfun: V0.3.2.0
Build type: Release
Build flags: -mwin32\ -m64\ -mthreads\ -msse2\ -std=c++11\ -mtune=generic\ -Werror=unused-label\ -Werror=delete-incomplete\ -Wall\ -Wuninitialized\ -Wcast-qual\ -Wno-deprecated-declarations\ -Wno-unused-result\ -fopenmp\ -Werror=unknown-pragmas\ -Wno-aggressive-loop-optimizations\ -DNDEBUG\ -O3\ -ftree-vectorize
Link flags: -m64\ -mthreads\ -static-libgcc\ -mtune=generic\ -s\ -O3
OpenMP support: ON
MMAP support: ON

I would guess you need to refresh the view, usually that is F5, not sure though.

Double click on the folder in RT file browser should show the new files.

Yes, of course, that is what I am doing. But I had thought, the view should be updated automatically once a new image is added. Am I wrong about this?

Hermann-Josef

RT scans periodically (let’s say every 5 seconds) for new images in the current folder. If the image is still not completely written, if fails reading it.

In fact, it is not updated after 15 minutes!

Hermann-Josef

Even after double-click on the folder?

Does it scan every 5 seconds?
Doesn’t this affect performance?
If I am processing an image and every 5 seconds it has to check for a new image … what a waste of time!

This operation is inexpensive in modern OSs, see for example inotify(7) - Linux manual page

1 Like

thanks @mbs
So it is not relevant.

I did not double click since I thought this will be done automatically.

Hermann-Josef

Would you be so graceful to try if double click works?

See my second post above. This is what I am doing right now…