Why should we put our processed photo aside for some time before judging if it is finished

One of the processing tips I have found very helpful is that when you think you have achieved a satisfactory result, you should put the photo aside, take your time and do something else, then get back to the photo and see if it is still a satisfactory result for you. The reason is that human eye tends to adapt itself for what it sees. The longer you look a scene (a picture), your eye gets adapted more. This particularly happens for the color information.

Today I saw a visual illusion that demonstrates this very well. If you stare at the following image for long enough (a few seconds), its colors will disappear! (Credit: NightBreeze13/Reddit)

rdKFXyvkV4x-QFuZ8KkrDHWeLvTZ9BWHiof8iE6Drho

1 Like

Good suggestion. I often find images less satisfactory when I view them the next day.

I do not recognize the disappearance of colors in the image above. At least not with my laptop display and my brain :wink: .

Good for you :wink:
They start to disappear for me if I stare at a fixed point on the center of the photo for at least 3 seconds without blinking :smile:

OK, I can see where this goes, but the fact that the colors get blinded-out after some time without eye-movement desn’t really proof anything for image-treatment. We generally don’t stare on a single spot in our photos for a long time without eye-movement.

When you treat images just after taking them, you might tend to enhancen some aspects that were important to you during the shooting (example: the smile of the model, the smell of some flowers in the foreground). This can make you emphasize on those details (chose pictures with “that” smile rather than pictures with a good pose, overdo color on those flowers in the foreground because you want them be very prominent, even if you can’t smell them anymore). So there is benefit in putting a week or a month between taking the pictures and treating them in post-prod. But I don’t see an advantage in keeping time between post-prod and … second round of post-prod.

You get better at judging pictures and post-processing with time. Just like a kid with a guitar wants to play whatever rubbish for everyone opposed to a seasoned musician who wouldn’t want you to hear anything except the finished and polished work. You get used to some "standards ", you get used to your camera and it’s color-rendition, to your software, to your monitor / laptop and how it always is a tad too dark or bright. Everybody “overdoes” post-prod at least once, maybe twice, but that’s it.

Taking a “good” picture is a question of preparation. When the model is in the mood, when you are at the right place at the right time, sun at the perfect angle, then it’s just a matter of manipulating the gear. I personally find it very hard to eliminate the “good ones”, the ones that are “very close, but no cigar” from the real top photos. And if you happen to bring such a picture home, you don’t need a lot of post-prod. It’s already great.

2 Likes

I keep my photos “in the fridge” for several weeks. Then they aren’t mine any longer and I can look at them with impartiality (“impartiality” is a nickname for the Del key). The same is true for post-processing, you focus on one area, and totally overlook something else. Put it aside, forget about it, and a few weeks later the problems will jump at you.

The pros get all my admiration, they can’t afford the time…

2 Likes

Just because you mention the “pro”:

The biggest difference between most professionals and advanced amateurs is the time the pros spend in the office prospecting clients, writing invoices - and chasing the late payments.

Nikon traditionally comes up with a new “Sports” Camera every four years, a few months before the olympic games (D3 2008, D4 2012, D5 2016) and the “s” model comes up inbetween for the Fottball WC (D3s 2010, D4s 2014 and so on). some official from Nikon has said that 95% of the D4 series has been sold to amateurs, the remaining 5% are split between agencies/newspapers and the very few professionals who buy such a camera for their business.

A lot of pro work is made with quite “outdated” gear.

1 Like