Why would registration skip some images?

I am trying to register a large (~2000 sub) sequence of images. These were taken with an DSLR and a 24mm lens, unguided and untracked (i.e. on a tripod), but with short exposures (6 sec). The gap in time between exposures is very small (about 1/10 sec).

Siril 0.99.6 is about half done having done 1000 images and it is running as I type this.

I am using Global Star Alignment registration.

The odd thing is that there are a small number of frames - say 6-10 out of the first 1000 where Siril says it has to skip the frame.

Yet the image statistics for the skipped frames are good - roughly 14,000 stars and FWHM of 2.95 pixels. That is virtually identical to the frames that we not skipped. Indeed because the frames are very close together in time, there is very little difference from frame to the next. Over the course of 2000 shots of course there is quite a bit of change.

It tells me to “Try #3”, which I assume is “Simplified Drizzle x2”.

I guess I can try that when it completes, but I am not sure whether that means I have to redo the entire sequence with this method or Just the small number of skipped stars.

Also, I don’t understand why good looking, nearly identical frames should sometimes (but rarely) get rejected.

Sometime shit happens :).
No joke, there are a lot of possible reasons, and difficult to say what it is.But with short exposure, the signal is week and noise high.
Sometime, just by choosing a better reference image it fixes this kind of issue. Changing the threshold in Dynamic PSF too.