Why you should buy a tripod with flip locks?

Hi,

some weeks ago I was hiking to reach a very nice leak in the alps to take some pictures at sunset. At the top near the lake it started to rain and we seeked shelter at the nearby hut. While waiting for the rain to stop and having some snack the clouds opened for a bit and the sun came trough. So I grabbed my camera, filter and tripod to take a picture.

I’ve returned to my backpack to pack away my camera and put the tripod with the camera mounted on the ground. Then a segment of a leg slided in and the tripod with the camera tripped over. It fell directly on the screen of the camera. The ground was soft so there was no damage.

Later when I turned the camera on again, it didn’t work. Due to the hit on the ground the glass in lens got probably dismounted. Better don’t ask what the repair of the lens costs me.

However, the tripod has a twist lock. If there gets water underneath the rubber you use to lock a segment it will turn around and not fully lock it. That happened because of the rain. Last year the same happened to a friend.

I’ve bought a new tripod with flip locks now. This is just so nice to use. You open it and the segment slides out, you close it. There is only open or absolutely locked. Setting up the tripod is so much quicker it is simply awesome. Why didn’t I buy one in the first hand?

If you buy a tripod, buy one with flip locks, it can save you money a lot of money! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What tripod was it?

My Feisol’s twist locks work perfectly fine when wet.

I have a 3LT with twist locks. I’ve used it in the drizzle and damp conditions and never had it give out.

I have had a tripod with a flip lock which got sand in it and basically ground it to non-use.

Pros/cons with everything.

1 Like

@CarVac It was a Sirui but I had the same with Rollei too.

@rpac78 3LT has the rubber glued into the aluminum, it doesn’t go around the whole thing as far as I can see, so this is much better.