Worth it Betatesting RT 5.7 in Mac OSX High Sierra? [closed]

Hello,

So an update on the whole Rawtherapee installation on university computer efforts.

I ran the computer lab install of Rawtherapee 5.7 on 2017 I-macs running MacOS High Sierra (10.15), and I found some serious bugs, and while we figure out a solution (not the place for discussion on this thread) I saw an opportunity to do a lot of bug reports and betatesting. One of which, I filed a bug report, found here: Crash clicking "load a profile from file" on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 · Issue #5626 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

One of the responses was

Blockquote
Can’t reproduce the error on my MacBook running Catalina 10.15.2. According to your error message, the GTK library libgio-2.0.0.dylib packaged with RT has been built for 10.15 and doesn’t find an expected symbol in the system library libobjc.A.dylib under 10.13:

Dyld Error Message:
  Symbol not found: _objc_alloc_init
  Referenced from: /RawTherapee.app/Contents/Frameworks/libgio-2.0.0.dylib (which was built for Mac OS X 10.15)
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib

I wonder if we can do much aside from building a specific version of RT for 10.13 High Sierra. Why don’t you upgrade your system or alternatively run a matching older version of RT?

From the response it seemed like proper support on older Mac OS versions are low priority, as there are different GTK library version and OS compatibility issues, and the focus will be on Catalina. Is this true, and if so, should I continue to do beta testing on High Sierra?

Also, RT was installed in the wrong directory, root instead of /Applications. Is this a confounding variable for bug testing?

A bit later, I found a new build that someone submitted in response (see github issue page link). However, as I do not have admin privileges to the mac labs, nor do I own a mac that is not ancient, I cannot beta test on Mac new builds on my own, so I am stuck betatesting this
Rawtherapee version listed below, for the time being, though I will try to see if I can get my dusty mac to run high sierra, or find a friend who has an Imac that I can test new builds.

Version: 5.7 _ Branch: 5.7 _ Commit: f335efe _ Build type: release (see github bug page for more info)

Given these limitations, should I continue betatesting this version while its on the university computers (before a different version is installed) and would the bug reports be useful?

Note that this thread is not about getting Rawtherapee running stable on the university computers (this thread would be unnecesarily long and convoluted if we tried to do both). This thread is me stating an opportunity for me to do beta testing, and double checking that it would be helpful first, and I will make a separate troubleshooting thread a little later.

Update: Here is the thread dedicated to troubleshooting the stability problems in the mac computer lab.

Be sure to use version 5.8.

OK, now that I’ve thought through in light of the recent release of 5.8, I kind of feel like I asked a dumb question. Mods, feel free to delete this thread.

The only dumb question is the one that doesn’t get asked.

3 Likes